Chapter One

Chapter One-

Streaks of light assaulted my eyes, pulling me out of my blissful slumber. I groaned and tried to move away from them. An endeavor that made me fall right off the edge of my bed, instantly ruining my plan of sleeping in the whole day. It felt like someone was playing bongo's in my head and my feet coordination was off... Conclusion: I had a hangover. I groaned as the memories of last night came crashing back, and the reason of my utter misery came tumbling back. See, 24 hours ago my life was perfect. Well not really, but it wasn’t going all that bad. But now...? I moaned at my miserable plight and pulled the blankets to go right back to sleep.

A Day Earlier-

Snubbing my toe just as soon as I got out of bed should have been a pre-motion of sorts to the sort of day it would be. But except for cursing and hopping around on one foot, looking like a deranged clown, I didn’t really give it much thought.

Even though most people you ask, will tell you that I am a sloppy person; it’s pretty much the opposite. Being brought up in a home that had more rules than you could remember, can do that to a person.

My daily life is extremely organized. Well monotonous, according to my brother, but oh well! So it was pretty normal to have a coffee while reading the morning paper. Well it would have been, except for the fact that my peaceful morning coffee was disturbed by my phone ringing.

"Derek here."

"Dude did you get it yet?"

I chuckled. Raed, while being an extremely articulate person usually, had a way of making absolutely no sense when he is excited.

"Morning dear bro, to what do I owe the pleasure of you calling this early in the morning?” I asked.

"Oh! So you haven’t seen it yet, after all you are still laughing, have you checked your mail yet?"

"No I haven’t... wait a second I am getting another call," I said, looking to see who was calling. I couldn’t help but grin seeing Rachel’s name flash on the screen.

"Sorry Rae, I got to take this, I’ll call you later yeah?"

“But listen..." and the line went dead.

I felt a little guilty cutting him off like that but when the girl you really like calls you, after over a month you have to take her call.

"Hello," I said answering Rachel's call.

"Hi Derek! I am back in New York and was wondering if we could meet?" I nodded almost immediately but seeing as she couldn’t see me, "Oh yeah, sure tell me when and where and I’ll be there."

"The usual place at around one?  We can catch lunch. I have meetings all morning today," she said.

"Ok sure, see you there."

"Bye," she said. I couldn’t help the grin that spread on my face.

Today I decided today I’ll tell her how I feel. Remembering Rae's words about getting something in the mail I looked at the pile of letters that I had pulled out of my mailbox yesterday evening, but just as I was going to get them and check for what he was talking about I heard the doorbell ring. Pulling it open I saw Sam almost fall in, Sam my best friend, and also my neighbor. 

"Der, please please please say you can take over my class today," I looked at his disheveled hair and overall messed appearance.

 "Yeah sure, but what’s going on?"

"Dad decided to show mum that he was as strong… as he was when he was young," he said making a face.

I grinned, "What did he do?"