nine

NINE - FACT OR FICTION

IT WAS NO SECRET TO CASSANDRA that Jonathan Byers had feelings for Nancy Wheeler. No matter how many times he denied the fact, the faint blush on his cheeks and the longing stares had always given it away, ever since he and Cassie were children.

In fact, the Cohen had only stopped bothering the boy about it when he began to retaliate with comments about her 'friendship' with Steve. Now that left the girl speechless each time, and a proud smirk across a 14 year old Jonathan's features.

But perhaps the most peculiar addition to the narrative, in Cassie's mind, was the way Nancy seemed to hold onto those same stares. She seemed nervous, bashful around the boy, tentatively pressing the ice pack to his head. Was it really possibly that she reciprocated his feelings? All the while dating the asshole Steve Harrington?

Cassandra kept her doubt to herself, silently holding her own ice pack to her nose as they waited on Hopper's urgent arrival.

"Hey...Jonathan? Cassie-" Joyce Byers entered the room, peering between the two. "Jesus what- what happened?"

Hopper let out a short sigh, a tight lipped smile hidden behind his moustache as he approached the table.

"Why is he wearing handcuffs?"

"Well your boy assaulted a police officer. That's why." Callahan replied in a matter of fact tone, approaching the table.

Cassie rolled her eyes, it was hardly that serious, part of her wondered how Callahan had even qualified as an officer at all. "It was an accident."

"Take them off." Joyce demanded.

"I'm afraid I cannot do that."

"Take them off!" She shouted, Cassie flinched slightly at the volume, a brow raised at the interaction. God, she loved when Joyce put on a show.

"You heard her. Take them off." Hopper instructed.

"Chief, I get everyone's emotional around here but there's something you need to see." Powell interjected, his voice calm as he lead the man out towards the car. Cassandra let out a deep sigh, this couldn't possibly be good.

"Oh for fuck sake." Cassie grumbled under her breath, wanting to bury herself further into a chair when he re-entered with a box of belongings.

"What is this stuff?" Joyce began, routing through a box of hunting gear the trio had collected.

"Why don't you ask your son? We found it in his car."

"Why were you routing through my car?" Jonathan snapped.

"Is that really the question you should be asking right now?" The Chief gave the boy a stern expression leaning closer into the table. He turned his gaze briefly towards Cassandra, who instead of guilt, bared him a look of what he could only describe as desperate concern. "I wanna see you all in my office."