fourteen

FOURTEEN - CHRISTMAS MIRACLE

ONE MONTH LATER:

Thankfully, the month that followed was filled with much less chaos for the people of Hawkins. There were even plenty of festivities as the small town had began to breathe again, relaxing back into old traditions.

Cassandra Cohen gave a cheerful smile as she entered the Wheeler household, somewhat in awe of the decorated and gleeful house. Her father used to go all out this time of year, and this was only the families second Christmas without him.

"You boys finished?" Cassie asked, standing with her arms folded over her chest, a playful smirk on her lips. Lucas and Dustin stopped playfighting, instead turning to face the source of the noise. Mike smiled in acknowledgement, whilst Dustin pointed his finger towards the girl. "Your hair!"

The girl stifled a chuckle at his reaction peering down at the now blonde locks that surpassed her shoulders. She'd since dyed her hair back from brunette, back to the way it used to be.

"I told you!" Lucas called back gesturing towards Cassie.

"Sinclair, were you gossiping about me?" She gasped, holding a hand over her heart.

"All good things! Good things!" Dustin quickly covered, making the girl laugh as he raised his hands in surrender.

"As much as I'd love to hear, we gotta go." She gestured to her watch, as if to say times up. She'd come to pick up the Sinclair the same time Jonathan had with Will, meaning there was little protest from any of the boys, bidding goodbye as they headed up the basement stairs.

"Looks delicious, Mrs Wheeler." Cassie complimented, walking past the kitchen counter where Mrs. Wheeler stood dusting sprinkles over her Christmas cake.

The woman gave a warm smile. "Thank you sweetheart. Call me Karen, please." She insisted, taking a sip of wine from the glass in her free hand. She paused, lifting up her hand as if to tell them to wait, Cassie had just barely spotted Jonathan and Will by the door. "I almost forgot!"

Dusting her hand on her apron, Mrs. Wheeler sauntered over to the fridge, pulling out a homemade trifle. Karen handed the Christmas desert over to the Cohen, knowing how much the girl used to adore her baking. The woman had made the very same kind gesture with a box of cookies the year earlier, wanting to bring comfort to an old friend the first Christmas after Jane had lost her husband.

"You shouldn't have." Cassie began, a genuine smile on her lips as she took the glass bowl in her hands. The Wheeler began to shake her head. "Seriously, thank you."

"No need." She waved off.

This had reminded her, reaching into her pocket to pull out a folded piece of paper, handing it over to the elder woman. "Oh yeah, here. This is the recipe for my chilli con carne that Nance said you wanted. I put one for some sweet banana bread on the back, too."