~16~ A fleeting fear

*Unedited.*
Word count: 2323

~~~ ((Y/n)'s pov) ~~~

°
°
°

"Do you have a scheduled meeting?"

The white light of the front office was buzzing with dead life - vacant of warm hues.

The clicking of keyboards was steady - reassurance to the busy work of the administration sitting behind desks of pale gray.

"Well, no. But I just need to talk to him- two minutes, that's all I need." I respond and the older woman shakes her head, fixing her wide rimmed glasses before resting an elbow on the surface of her work space.

"I'm sorry, dear." She ruffles her crimped curls with her free hand - bangle bracelets dancing on her wrist.
"But the dean is a very busy man. Unless it's on his schedule..." Her free hand falls, her pear-shaped frame leaning forward and her pearly teeth were shown through a still caring expression. "Besides, he's not in right now. Maybe I can put you down for a meeting with him next Monday?"

I tap an impatient finger on the desk's surface - I just needed reassurance, a way to settle my shot nerves with a definitive truth.

I just barely managed to convince myself to confront an answer. I wasn't going to bail out now.

"I don't need a meeting with him." I exhale a calm response, keeping my composure by focusing on the fake, a little too fruity smell of the front space.

Corin once again let me have needed time - despite her nagging worry. And I was thankful for it - for her.

But I knew there wasn't a chance of me explaining my side if I kept caving in to paranoia.

I needed answers. One simple answer so I could laugh at my mistake - my misjudgement on falsehoods later tonight and fall back into steady routine.

"I just need to talk to the dean. Directly, if possible." I add out of easily uneased habit and the older woman smiles, shrugging as she returns to an upright position.

Her hair was a curled in tight, permed ringlets - her features touched up with a palette suiting her taste, her lips a deep red matching that of brown hued strands of thick hair.

"Maybe I could ask him for you next I see him. You can come back later and I can give you his answer."

I wanted to shake my head in firm, faltered denial.

I take a breath, gaze falling to the floor as my lack of options was laid out in front of me.

"I- well you see it's kind of...personal." The inhale taken was sharp and my thumb is pinched between fingers as one of the few glass doors is opened - a stale interpretation of a breeze sending shivers down spines. "Not in that way- it's just...I would prefer if I could talk to the dean in person. It wouldn't take much time at all."

"Am I needed?"

I turn my attention like the snapping of a mouse trap on newly caught prey - and I silently thanked the heavens for my sudden lucky streak.

The dean walks closer - an older man who was taller than most with a more lanky build.

He flashes a smile, fixing his dress jacket and my shoulders relax.

"This young lady says- persists that she talk to you. " The woman, who now sat behind me speaks up, returning her gaze to her computer and the male motions me over.

I take quick steps, wringing the strap of my backpack and his hands find his front pockets.

"How can I be of assistance?"