~17~ Gestures from friends

*Unedited.*
Word count: 2890

The door shuts - adrenaline pumping from my rush to get back to the dorm.
The click was distinguished from the muffled shuffling of close bodies, much like the sudden vibration from the device in my back pocket.

My chest falls, body leaning back against the door as my bag fell to the neatly kept flooring beside me. My knees buckle, letting my upper body slide down the smooth surface until I sat crumpled on the hard ground.

Another buzz and my head tilts back, brow knitting in distate of my findings earlier in the day - and even if I hadn't gone to the dean, slipped back into cowardice, the world made my worries a realization anyways.

Though my eyes stung, no tears blurred my view of the ceiling. No tears were shed - my disappointment wouldn't allow them to be.

I was already ashamed of having allowed myself to panic earlier, to cry in an open place...even if it wasn't fully noticed.

Pulling my phone from my pocket I sigh, shoulders hung and the light from the device was dim.

C:Hey hey
•C:Last class was a bit of a bummer for me lol. Ready to go get drinks? We'll have to walk to the gas station while old reliable is getting checked out so I hope that's fine with you?

My face hides itself between my knees, my hand resting on the floor by my side.

'I'm...ok.'

Another sigh falters at my attempt at self assurance.

After two years - they were back.

How did they find me?

I didn't want to know.

I shudder at the thoughts intruding my place of safety - unsure of many things.

Kaito was right...they all were.

Even after I prevailed, things never changed.

For two years I lived in worry - constant fear, constant checking of my surroundings for any small thing resting out of place.

For two years I doubted every choice - avoided many things.

And for two years - it's seemed my worst thoughts were true...they never stopped looking.

After two years of freedom, he was there - Ryo was there...yet not a word was uttered to me.
No chirped out 'hello angel!'
No attempts at whispering threats.
No reunited greeting.

My head shifts, eyes glancing down at the text awaiting my reply and the newly popped up notification of an incoming call.

The name was simple - one that sent butterflies through webs.

"Hi dad..." my throat clears - voice uneven yet calm and I rest my head against the door.

"Hey sweetie." His voice was like a much need pick-me-up, a crashing wave of relief. "If I'm correct you got out of class...not too long ago."

I nod - a frail smile tempting to cross resting features at the known thought of my parent checking his watch.

The line was busy - the unseen figure walking through what seemed to be a busy building or street way.

"You're correct." I respond, earning a lighthearted chuckle of victory from the man.

"Still got it." He says in triumph. "How are you holding up? Is school going well?"

I nod - eyes on the darkened room of closed curtains and turned off lights. "Yeah...it's as good as it can be. Why do you ask?"

"Just a...feeling of sorts. But I'm glad to hear that. Your mother and I wanted to apologize for our silence these past few months."