Fiesta y Despedidas

Camilo anxiously stood alone in the middle of the stone bridge. It was finally the day of the much-anticipated festival, and he was waiting for Hanna to arrive at their usual meeting place. The decorations had already been prepared in the village and the excited voices of people could be heard from far away. Camilo took a moment to look over the bridge and down into the river below. He ran a hand through his hair a few times and smiled at his reflection for what seemed like the first time in forever. Then he looked up when he heard his name being called out.

"Sorry for the wait!" said a familiar voice.

Camilo turned to see Hanna running over to him and was pleasantly surprised by her appearance. She was wearing a pale-yellow dress with matching heels and her long hair cascaded down her back. She had her bag strapped onto her shoulder with her quena inside of it.

Camilo grinned at her. "Wow," he said. "Yellow looks good on you!"

Hanna blushed. "Thanks," she said.

Camilo then looked over her head. "Where's your sister?" he asked, curiously. "I thought she was coming with you."

"She said she'll catch up later. And for who knows what reason," Hanna said with a little sigh.

Camilo blinked. "Oh well," he said, holding out a hand to her. "In that case... shall we, Bonita?"

Hanna nodded in agreement and took his hand.

The two of them walked along the streets adorned with flowers until they reached the square and looked around excitedly. There was a small parade of dancers, dressed in brightly colored clothes that Isabela and Mirabel designed themselves. They were all moving to the loud upbeat music being played for everyone to hear. There was also the smell of delicious food cooking over grills. Antonio's animals were wandering the streets to everyone's amusement. Kids ran around, kicking a ball back and forth, and chasing each other with little toys. Camilo and Hanna watched the parade for a while and then met up with Julieta to enjoy some of her cooking. Alma, Bruno, Pepa, Félix, Mirabel and Antonio were also there at Julieta's table. Pepa and Félix grinned at each other adoringly as they noticed Camilo and Hanna were both wearing yellow. When Mirabel saw Hanna, she went to give her a big hug.

"You doing okay?" she asked. "You nervous?"

"Not so much anymore," Hanna replied.

"That's good!" said Mirabel.

Alma then came up to them and Hanna looked up at her. "Thank you for making me and my family a part of this," she said, politely.

"Oh, don't be silly," said Alma with a grin. "You are practically family to us now."

"Here," said Julieta, carrying a plate of buñuelos. "Can't have you performing on an empty stomach."

Hanna gratefully took one, and it was as tasty as ever. Camilo grabbed five of them in one hand and Julieta shook her head at him.

"I swear, you are just as bad as your Tío Bruno," she said with a smirk.

"Hey!" Bruno interjected. "It's not all just for me!" He was holding up a piece of an arepa to two of the rats he carried in his pocket.

Then Agustín came over to the table with bruised fingers and a large bump on his forehead. He was also limping on his left foot.

"I was helping Cal fix the stage and got carried away with the hammer," he explained sheepishly, for Hanna looked at him concerningly.

"Ay, Agustín!" said Julieta in exasperation. She picked up a buñuelo and shoved it into his mouth, healing his bruises instantly.

After a friendly chat with the parents, Camilo, Hanna, Mirabel, and Antonio all went to play a game of tejo together. They were well into the middle of the game, setting off gunpowder and smoke when Amalia arrived at the square with Isabela, Luisa, and Dolores right behind her. Hanna saw her sister and let out a gasp.