Round 8 - SURPRISES

#Fanfiction #CrossOver #Scifi  #SpinOff #SyFy #IronMan

RED BELT to be earned.

Prompt: Write a 3,000 word story (between 2,900 and 3,000).

Requirements: Write a spinoff of a popular action-based fandom (movie/book/show/game/anime).

SHOW don't tell. Use verbs.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Note: as this story, so far, has been continuing from the beginning of this contest, it would be best for readers to start at Round 1 to understand the name changes of the royal people in hiding and the connections being revealed between the characters.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Max's eyes locked on Tyron. The kneeling man and his two companions still bowed their heads.

"Please stand and explain why you've come," Max demanded.

"We decided to join you and help defend the castle here in Zufloria," Tyron explained, looking at his companions. His eyes on Max, he continued, "We've had a change of mind and heart. Others want to join you but we rode out first. We heard the talk that many will accompany Marok out here and then turn to help defend this kingdom."

"We must hurry to the castle by the lake," Max called, including the sea of people resting in the meadow. He called to Jaz and Jo, "Take the horses and ride ahead to warn Queen Zora and King Zekon. Make sure you give due obeisance."

A huge disturbance developed from the crowds of followers... gasps of surprise and shock caused Max's gaze to follow the pointing and stares as the crowd around them stood. Children screamed and many covered their eyes with the palms of their hands.

Fingers pointed to the skies...

A terrifying flying figure, reflecting shades of gold, red and white light soared toward them, trailing light— blinding light from the never before seen being.

Passing the panicking travelers, it rose higher before streaking over the edge of the meadow and down toward the stream below.

Both Jaz and Jo raced to the edge to see what it was; they threaded their way through the people all moving in the opposite direction.

"It's, a knight, a flying knight!" Jo exclaimed, adding as Jaz spoke in unison, "I hope he's on our side."

"Seems he's on our side."

They smiled at each other. Together, "We must help the people get to safety." But, transfixed, they watched.

Hands outstretched, the knight-like figure shot beams of light at the bridge, exploding it, burning it out as enemies appeared along the path previously taken by the refugees.

Zipping along the bed of the stream for some miles and causing a dam to explode, the knight flew back as a mountain of water flooding along the base of the valley grew into a racing river. It was impossible for anyone to ford it now.

Extending his hands, palms facing the Ulodian army, he stood straight up in air, sending burning white beams toward the terrified men. Aiming at the ground in front of the army caused warriors to retreat, disappearing over the ridge.

Persisting with perfect aim, the knight caused his fire to rise to the top on the tracks of the last three warriors. He hovered above the ridge, watching them leaping, sliding and racing down the other side.

Returning to hover over the meadow before drifting above the moving crowd, the knight descended at the place where Max and his mother stood calling the refugees to follow them to the castle.