Round 09 - A New World

Round 9 Champion | @CarolynAnnAish

Round 9 -  PROMPT: Write an action short story, no less than 5K words, no more than 10k. Setting: Focus on World and Scene building. Use: A clear protagonist and antagonist.

A plot twist. Show the ACTION

This follows on from Round 8 and the rest of the rounds connect to this closing round which has won 'First Place' in the final judging. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Part I - The Time Machine

The refugees from Ulodia had settled in Zufloria, many employed within the royal castles and military; others out in the city and in some smaller settlements close to the vast lake. Fishing, an attractive vocation, was one of the largest occupations other than orcharding, farming and marketing.

The markets ran seven days a week in every area of Zufloria, from noon until sunset or sell-out when marketers pack up their carts and head for their abodes. Morning time is harvest and preparation time.

The expanded population kept growing as more Ulodians took further passage out to the lake then around to the border of Zufloria to settle there. Due to the low population of the kingdom, newcomers were welcome.

Finding themselves ignored right now, Jo and Jaz spent much time in the huge libraries, focussing on studying the surrounding kingdoms with their differing languages.

Not understanding at first how Tony could be missing for up to an hour, they soon realized from chatter in the 'Tech Room' that he disappeared often to return to, 'My dimension, my time.'

He joined them in the main library one day, urging them to learn 'English.'

"It's the language from my home country," he explained. "You speak something between Danish and Russian." Changing to speak in English, Tony continued, "I learnt yours in less than a week, so you'll pick it up mine fast."

In perfect English, Jo and Jaz replied together, "We know English, or, Anglo-Saxon. But your English has a different slant, or, accent, to it."

"American English I guess," Tony said, his attention upon a small box-like thing. Attaching a cord by threading it through a small hole in it, he lifted it over Jo's head, around her neck.

'Tony has one just like it,' Jaz informed Jo.

"What's it for?" she asked.

Giving no answer, Tony pressed a small button on hers while checking the one he wore. It was larger with more 'buttons'.

Examining hers, he said, "Come. We need to test them together."

Not daring to contradict or disobey, Jo looked to Jaz with a questioning thought, 'I want you to come.'

Shrugging, he returned, 'I'm not invited.'

However, he followed them, shooting the thought, 'I'm not leaving your side. I have a bad feeling about this right now.

'I'm nervous enough when I'm close to him and I'm feeling that this man can be like a loose arrow. He's so full of busy-like-ness but we never see much done by him now other than knowing he can do three things at once without revealing all his doings until they are done. I've never known any other person who can do that.'

'He goes out often to patrol the borders,' Jo shot in Tony's defense.

In a far corner of the Tech Room now, Tony pressed four numbered buttons on a closed metal door and it slid upward, revealing a closet-like chamber. Taking Jo's hand, Tony stepped inside with her. The door slid down behind them.