Chapter Nine

We are all in the kitchen cooking dinner long after the movie had ended. We decided on a pasta dish. I’m not cooking as the men are insistent on cooking for me. I’m just perched on top of the countertop, watching in amazement as they work together to prepare our dinner.They move around and with each other in a way that is impressive. They don’t stumble or bump into each other, they just move as if they are one and the same. 

  “You guys never cease to amaze me.” I say with a smile as I watch them with affection. Richard looks over with a smile before leaning over and giving me a kiss. 

  “Well I don’t mean to speak for Richard but you surprise us too.” Matt says as he stirs the pasta in the pot. He smiles at me before giving the sauce a taste. “Mmm that’s good.” He grabs a spoon, scoops some sauce, and then presents it to me. I blow on it to cool it before I take a bite. 

   “Wow.” I say as I swallow the bite in my mouth. “That is absolutely delish.” He smirks, tossing the used spoon into the sink. 

  “It’s done, let me drain this pasta and mix everything together and then we can eat.” Matt says, flipping off the knobs for the oven.

                                     ***

I sit back in my chair and rub my stomach, which is aching from how full it is. “Thank you for the meal.” I thank them, giving them a smile. 

“Of course baby.” Richard says, collecting all the empty plates from the table. He takes them into the kitchen and sets them in the sink. He comes back to the table and holds out his hand to me. I place my hand in his and he pulls me to my feet. “Are you excited to go back to work?” He asks, giving me a kiss on the lips. 

“I’m nervous. I’m sure they have been trying to get a hold of me. I’m worried I won’t have a job once I go back.” I sigh heavily, “But I know I have to go back and at least try. Just have to figure out a story to explain my absence.” I step around Richard and head into the kitchen with the plan of washing the dishes. I start but quickly after Richard stops my hands by grabbing them with his.

“You don’t need to worry about that. Either Matt or I will get them later. We need to get you into bed.” He pulls me from the sink and heads to go to the bedrooms.

“Wait, I have to say goodnight to Matt.” I scurry away and go find Matt where he is still sitting at the dining room table. I press a kiss to his cheek and he smiles at me. 

“Goodnight baby.” He says as I wrap my arm around his shoulders and give him a quick hug. 

“Goodnight.” I squeeze him before letting go and skipping back to Richard. He is exactly where I left him, a smirk on his face. He pulls me in and kisses me, causing me to smile. 

“Good job.” He whispers against my lips before grabbing my hand, pulling away, and leading me into his room. Once there he pulls back the covers with the demand of, “In.” I giggle and jump on the bed on my knees, turning to press a kiss to Richards lips. I lay down and he pulls the blankets to my chin. He kisses my forehead softly before standing up. He takes his shirt and pants off before sitting on the bed next to me. 

“Go to sleep, my love.” I snuggle close to him and close my eyes. For the first time, I didn't have a nightmare. 

                  ***

I stand in front of the mirror, running a brush through my hair. My stomach is twisting violently, the nerves eating me alive. I’m not sure what was stressing me out more, the fact Travis could very well find me or I might be getting fired. I sigh heavy, my hand falling to rest on the countertop. I stare at myself in the mirror, taking in the view of a scared girl staring back. I tried to school my expression to one of indifference but the fear still simmered close to the surface. I sigh, leaving the brush on the counter and walking out of the bathroom. I’m already dressed for work with thirty minutes to spare before I need to leave. I sit on the couch and run my fingers through my hair.