Chapter 36

After the boats have vanished beyond the high mountains and you can no longer see Hvitserk, you turn to look at Ivar, but he has gone as well. Perplexed, you stare at Ubbe and Sigurd, but they cannot answer your unspoken question. Thus, you decide to remain at the docks for a bit longer, just enjoying the view of the mountains far in the distance. A cold wind blows through your hair and you feel a rush of energy resonate throughout your body, the urge to jump into the water and hurry after the boats, but Sigurd's hand on your shoulder holds you back.

"Come on Siggy, let's eat, I am starving"

With full stomachs and an entire afternoon to spare, you two ride through the woods, then over the steep path that leads to the top of the cliff above Kattegat. There you stay for a while, just the two of you, talking about Hvitserk and what they might find in the land beyond Frankia.

Late the next day, your attention is drawn to some rumpus in the streets of Kattegat. Ubbe and Sigurd are already on their way to the crowd that has formed when you join them and follow the long queue before you until Ragnar come to sight. Dressed in his torn clothes, the right eye blind but lingering on you as he grins and hands out gold to the people around him.

You suppress a laughter at the scene before you, the great Ragnar Lothbrok handing his belongings to the people around. Ordinary people, blessed with gold and valuables from England, the raids that Rollo spoke of.

Opposed to you, Sigurd and Ubbe do not find any of it amusing. They try to prevent Ragnar from making a fool of himself, but the more they try, the harder he counters, and throws coins of gold into the masses.

You pick up one such coin, with the face of King Ecbert on it, and place it in your pocket. Your eyes meet those of Ragnar and he smiles like an old friend, but even your kind face does not stop him from bribing people to join him.

One of the men arrives and demands a whole chest of gold for his support, and without hesitation, Ragnar hands it to him and smiles.

Rolling his eyes, their attempts at stopping Ragnar having failed, Sigurd leaves, followed by Ubbe, who has no understanding for their father's behaviour.

You stay for a while, making yourself a picture of Ragnar and his plan for England. Your instinct tells you he has a plan that will cause great trouble for any Viking following him and so you stay close to find out more.

His eyes wander to you every now and then, but Ragnar is determined to gather more men for his cause and in the end, all his gold handed out to the people around, he wanders off, through the streets. "What amuses you?" his voice sounds soft and calm, unlike that of an old man. "You think I am mad too?" Ragnar keeps on talking, his gaze on the horizon and the direction he is walking. "If you do not care about me like my sons do, then why follow me?"

Twigs crack under his steps as he continues his climb up the mountain to where he had dug up the treasures with Ivar. Huffing and puffing, he drops onto a stone, produces a flask from his pocket and drinks while viewing the broad greens around him. "Why does my son not like you?"

"Why do none of your sons like you?"

Giggling, Ragnar turns to face you, the flask in his hand as he reaches out. "That is a question you know the answer of, so why ask me?"

"I've heard stories of yours. You abandoned your sons for no good reason, left Aslaug in charge of Kattegat where Lagertha should sit on the throne because at least she would be a great ruler, and now you have returned without as much as a word to your wife. I cannot imagine what must go on in your mind, but I know that even if they refuse to admit, it hurt your sons when you left" A sigh escapes your mouth as you exhale and sit back, taking the flask from Ragnar's hand. Never would you have imagined yourself to throw those words at him, but you have heard those stories from Aslaug's and Lagertha's perspective, so you question their truth. Floki only ever told you about how great Ragnar had been in his prime, and even Lagertha praised him, but Björn remembered other parts of the story, some his mother would have never talked about, Aslaug neither, not even Floki. Staring off into the sky, you take another sip and hand the flask back to Ragnar. "You said to bring those men with you for a cause. What could you possibly need them for if you just want to die? If your intention is to start a war with England then why not do so on your own?"