Chapter 44

"Do come back, all of you" You glance at Björn, who turns his back as you speak and jumps onto the boat. One last hug for Sigurd and you watch as the boats leave the docks, so many, the Fjord has turned into a flood of wood that heads out into the open.

Lagertha stands beside you, her eyes on Björn as he leads the boats. "They will be successful" She lays her hand on Torvi's shoulder as she too stands on the dock, her baby girl in her arms.

"I just hope they will come back"

"And I hope you have made the right choice, dear Siggy" Lagertha brushes her hand over your jaw, smiling as your eyes remind her of her son. "There is much to do here, and I hope you will help us, as Princess of Kattegat" She smirks, walks off the docks and joins Astrid, their voices lowered as they speak about something that seems to trouble Astrid.

All around Kattegat, people work on walls and trenches to make their beautiful city saver. Wooden planks reach over the spikes that stick out of the trenches and you walk past several slaves that bring water and food to tables for the workers to take.

One of the slaves, Margrethe, stares at you, but when you walk in her direction, she hurries away, out of sight. Ever since Ubbe married her, she keeps away from you, more so than usual. You shake off the strange idea that pops into your head and head over to Torvi, who speaks with one of the workers.

"I want someone on every tower all around the gates. No one will come in without us spotting them, understood?"

"Yes"

You grin at her, trotting along as she controls the progress of the walls and checks for men on the towers. "Keep an eye out, Siggy. If word spreads that we are protecting our city, many will think it a challenge"

"Don't worry" you brush back your cloak to reveal a dagger, "I am prepared to fight" Your hand reaches for your sword as you speak and the touch of it in your hand gives you more courage.

Continue with Book 3