S2~13: Fallen Tears

It was another peaceful day in the forest. It's been a few days since Runa and Twyla left the Uesugi castle. Well, more like they snuck out in the brink of midnight - the perfect time where everybody would be asleep. And since the soldiers have been exhausted from the yakuma extermination, it was fortunate for the girls to leave so they can't cause anymore problems.

"Achoo!" Runa covered her mouth with her gloved hands when the frigid air tickled her nose.

"Are you alright, Hime-sama?" Twyla asked. She was sitting on her master's shoulders, despite telling her she's alright with the cold, but Runa specifically told the Faery to stay in her animal form since the east is just as cold as in Uesugi.

"Yes..." Runa croaked, breathing hot air into her hands before rubbing them against her arms to warm up her body.

"Are you sure, you don't want me to carry you to Date's territory? I mean, we're close and all, but you're not exactly built for physical labour."

"I am fiiiiii... IIINNNNEEE.... COLD!!" Runa shrieked. The moment a gentle breeze blew, the skin on her cheeks immediately got frostbite.

The air in Date territory was more colder than the other territories. On top of that, the snow was so deep that Runa could barely walk. She knows some people found a trick to walking on top of the snow, but Runa was isolated or had to be carried when winter came around. After only two steps, her short, slender thin legs were stuck deep in the snow, and she had to use her thorns to get herself out.

Twyla's ears flopped down at the loud shriek. "May I ask why we're going to Date Castle?" She asked.

"The riddle from Estelle pointed to Date's territory, so I thought we could... 'borrow' some books from the history sections in the bookstores in town." Runa explained.

"Borrow...?" Twyla's eyes widened when she realised what her master meant. "You mean steal?! You want to steal?!"

"No." Runa shook her head. "I will just quickly read them and put them back when we get there."

"So... we're just going to read them in the bookstores."

"Yes..."

"Now that sounds safe... and less illegal."

"And I wouldn't mind avoiding the Date Army finding out I was in their territory, too." Runa mumbled.

Twyla agreed as well. If Masamune found out they, or Runa, was in his territory, he would practically throw her in prison and demanding answers.

◇◇◇◇◇

Somewhere near the edge of the forest...

It was evening by the time, Runa reached Date's castle town. She placed her hands on her knees as she inhaled in a quick pace to catch her breath. Beads of cold sweat trickled down her boiling cheeks before Runa wiped them off with her sleeve. 'I should find Masamune, after all...' She thought, feeling light-headed.

As the raven-haired beauty was catching her breath, the townspeople were looking at her weirdly as they walked passed her. The outfit she's wearing clearly draw attention, especially the tailors and women in town. Even the kids were curious of the new girl.

With another deep breath, Runa exhaled deeply as she regained some of her strength. She adjusted her bag, which contained all her things and Twyla, who turned back into a mirror for safety, and began trudging through the snow towards the Date Army's castle.

There was a narrow pathway cut through the snow, but to Runa's eye, it doesn't seem to have been made with a shovel. Instead, it looked like it was made by people carefully following in each other's footsteps, one by one, as they walked down the main street.