❄️ Interactions ❄️

I looked around at all the different stalls set up by people that had come from all over the continent to this fair to sell their products. Snow globes and ice figures from my home, the Ice Kingdom. Weird little pieces of collectibles sold by Night People (probably found during their travels as they were known to love traveling). Little trinkets and small potted cactuses from the Sand Kingdom. Precious rocks and minerals from the Sky Kingdom. Exotic pet birds and sloths along with multi-colored leis made out of many different flowers from the RainForest. Statues and pottery made of clay from the Mud Kingdom. Delicate shells and ocean plants from the Sea Kingdom.

    "Can we please get something to eat? I'm starving!" Kinkajou grumbled.

    "Sure, I've been wanting to try sashimi for a while anyways." Moon replied, looking around at the various food stalls.

    "Ack, no meat for me," Kinkajou said, making a face. "I'm gonna go look for some fruit salad or something. Anyone wanna come?"

    "I'll come." Turtle said, smiling shyly. "I'll get drinks for everyone. Any specific requests?"

    It was no secret that Turtle had a crush on Kinkajou; literally everyone could see it, except for Kinkajou. She was completely oblivious. Sometimes I wonder if she even has any brain cells. Probably not, seeing as she thought sloths were the best pets ever. Personally I found them to be lazy furry creatures with absolutely no intelligence whatsoever.

    "I'd like some sparkling water." Qibli requested. "It's pretty hot."

    "I'll have ice water." I said, not really feeling like drinking anything particular today. I didn't have a sweet tooth either.

    "Surprise me." Aqua offered. "I don't have anything I really want anyways, and trying something new would be nice."

    "Ok," Turtle said, pulling a small notebook out of his coffee colored satchel and jotting down everyone's orders with a pencil, I swear he has everything one could possibly need in any situation in that satchel of his. Once he was done, he turned to Moon. "Moon, is there anything you would like to drink?" he asked.

    "Umm, anything tropical is fine with me." Moon smiled, pulling on the sleeves of the silvery-grey sweater that she was wearing. It was one of her fidgets; I don't even think she realized when she did it.

    I'm not sure why, but when she smiled, the dormant butterflies lying in my stomach went wild. I even felt the slightest hint of a blush appear on my face before I forced it away. No, I shouldn't be like this, what would my sister think? Worse, what would my father think? Even though the time away from Moon during summer vacation has kept her out of my thoughts while I trained, I still thought about her at night as I lay in bed, thinking about my short but sweet life. Our ancestors were (and in some ways still are) enemies, and I know that, so it would be wrong for me to feel this way towards her. Yet I can't control how I feel, no matter how hard I try.

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

    After Turtle finished writing down Moon's request, he and Kinkajou walked off, leaving me with Moon, Aqua, and Qibli.

    "I'm kinda in the mood for a sandwich." Aqua declared.

    "Oh, I saw some sandwich stalls that we passed earlier," Moon said, looking back at the way we came from.

"Great! Let's start there!" Aqua exclaimed, pulling Moon along as the two girls walked ahead of Qibli and I.

    "Its been a while hasn't it, Ice Prince." Qibli jokes, walking alongside me behind the girls. "How's your summer been?"

    I thought back to all the studying and training that father had put me through once I got back home. "Fine." I replied shortly. Up ahead, we could hear Moon and Aqua giggling at some inside joke.

    "Why can't we be like that," Qibli whined, gesturing to them. "I loved being roommates with you and calling you nicknames everyday."

    I pocketed my hands into my navy jacket and replied, "Well, I don't." That was most definitely a lie, although I would never admit it. Qibli glanced at me from the corner of his eyes and clearly didn't believe me, but thankfully he said nothing.

    We stopped walking when we reached the girls who were standing in line for some tuna sandwiches and chatting. Qibli took one look at the fish and said, "Uhh, I think I'll pass. I'm gonna go look for something else to eat." He made a disgusted face. "Winter, wanna come?"

    "I'm good, tuna's not that bad." Truth be told, I just wanted to stand in line with Moon. It was a pretty long line, meaning that I'd get to be with her longer.

    "Okay then, your loss." Qibli said, walking away to find something else to eat.

    We stood in line for about 10 minutes before Aqua excused herself to go to the bathroom, leaving me with Moon. After she was lost to the crowd, Moon turned to look at me.

    "So. . . how's your summer been?" she asked.

    "Okay, I guess." I replied with a blank, emotionless voice. Just like my father had taught me. But that must have made her uncomfortable because she bit her lip, nodded, and looked down. What am I supposed to say now? I thought desperately. "What about yours?" I asked in a hopeless attempt to keep the conversation going.

    She shrugged, eyes still trained on the floor. "Fine."

    It was at moments like these that I really hated the way my parents had raised me. After years of solitude and only speaking when spoken to, I now sucked at human interaction. I sighed heavily and stood there silently until Aqua came back and started chatting with Moon.