CHAPTER ONE

IT'S A SUNNY, DREARY MORNING IN THE FRENCH QUARTER OF NEW ORLEANS, to the ordinary people, the supernatural of vampires, werewolves, and witches, walks among them.

The delicious food, freshly baked pastries, and, of course, the sweet, tangy taste of alcoholic drinks

The delicious food, freshly baked pastries, and, of course, the sweet, tangy taste of alcoholic drinks. And the sound of instruments playing jazzy music.

In the Jackson Square, an auburn haired woman named Jessica Reeves, or by her nickname, Jesse Reeves, is looking at a painter as he paints on his canvas easel. Her auburn hair gently flows through the warm light breeze.

Jesse slowly walks away and walks inside the empty bar, Rousseau's, where her best friend, Camille "Cami" O'Connell, works as a bartender.

Cami glances at Jesse and greets her with a smile as Jesse sits down at the bar counter. "Hey, Jesse. Your usual wine?"

"Yes, please?" Jesse said with a smile.

Camille gently pours a bottle of wine into a wine glass and gently sets it down on the bar counter in front of Jesse.

"Thanks." Jesse said.

"You're welcome, how's Sabrina?" Camille asked Jesse, pondering about Sabrina's whereabouts. "She's an academy college student?"

"She's a academy college student at Stamford Academy, yeah. Actually, she's gonna be moving into my boarding house this afternoon with me and my husband, Slater." Jesse tells Camille.

"Okay." Camille said, and walks away.

Jesse takes a swig of her glass of wine, and upon sensing Klaus, she vamp-speeds him to a wall, baring her vampire fangs at him.

"Hi, Klaus." Jesse said to him.

"Hello, Jessica." Klaus said with a smirk.

Klaus and Jesse exchange intense looks at each other. And they exchange smiles at each other.

"You shouldn't sneak up on me." Jesse said, slowly walks away from him.

"Trust me, if I was sneaking up on you, you wouldn't know." Klaus said, and slowly walks up to the bar counter beside her. "Although, you can be a pain in the ass sometimes."

"Oh, wow, so can you." Jesse said.

Klaus smiles at her.

"Am I to assume that you two are best friends?" asked Camille to Klaus and Jesse.

"Complex, but you can say that we are. Jesse tolerates me." Klaus said.

"And Klaus knows that I will kick his ass if he annoys me." Jesse said, and her phone buzzes in her jeans pocket. She pulls out her phone and looks at it.