Habits

She's the most precious little thing she has ever seen. A button nose, little wide dark eyes, chubby cheeks, and rosebud lips.

Little Seo-ah is truly so precious, she thinks, as she exchanges a smile with her friend, who looks so proud of her one-month-old daughter.

"She's so beautiful," she tells the doting mother. The baby moves her hand a little and she offers her little finger for her to grasp. Seo-ah squeezes her finger, her grip strong. "Aren't you? You're so smart too! Omo, I want to squeeze you."

Her friend laughs. It's been a good while since she has held such a small baby in her arms. Her nephews and nieces are older now, and her other friends' babies are older as well. Seo-ah is a breath of fresh air, the first baby girl in her group of friends, who came after the pandemic. She's adorable and will grow to be a beautiful and smart person, she is sure.

She smiles and looks over at her husband, watching her with that wistful look on her face. They're all listening to her friend's husband talking about the ordeal, how strong his wife is, and how lovely their baby is.

She can't help but look at little Seo-ah and imagine her own.

It's later, when they're in the car, going home, that they talk about it.

"Seo-ah is adorable," she gushes. "She's going to be such a good friend to our child, I can tell."

"You can tell?" He teases her. "I think they'll be good friends. They'll be born in the same year."

"Right? They'll be so cute together," she says, patting his thigh softly as he drove. She's had that habit since they started dating. Whenever she's in the front seat, their hands will either interlock or she'll have her palm on his thigh. Like an anchor of sorts.

There's a moment of comfortable silence. Her mind is vibrating with the possibilities. It feels so real now; they've known they're having a baby for only a few weeks and she doesn't feel much different besides the occasional morning sickness — and how sleepy she's been. Now, seeing her friend's baby, it feels so real.

"You'll be such a good mother," his voice interrupts her thoughts. "Seeing you hold her... I can't wait until I get to see you round with our baby."

"I'll be huge," she cringes. "You're going to have to carry me around and tie my shoelaces."

"I'll do all that. You'll be beautiful," he breathes. "You get more beautiful every day."

"Aw, jagiya..." she gushes.

"I think it just felt more real when I saw you with her," he continues. "Not that it hasn't been real. But she's so small and fragile. I'm apprehensive about holding ours."

He did sound worried, but she couldn't help but laugh. "You'll be the best father to our little one. He or she will have you wrapped around their little finger as I do."

He chuckles. "We're having one of those, aren't we?"

He gives her a side glance. She nods. "We are. Are we ready?"

He shrugs comically. "We will be."

He reaches for her hand and plants a kiss on the back of it. She smiles and squeezes his hand. The pregnancy may have come earlier than they anticipated but it was so wanted, and their baby was so loved. She notices it when he takes care of her like he has been for the past years. Like when he looks wistful and soft. When he gives her that smile he saves for her, like now.

She's suddenly overwhelmed with joy that she lets out a giggle. He laughs too. It's exciting and scary, all at the same time. They'll be ready, she does not doubt it. It won't be easy, but they'll make sure to have a lot of laughs along the way like they always have.

She realizes her other hand is splayed over her lower belly, above the seatbelt. She stares her their intertwined hands in the middle of their seats, then down her lap. Maybe that's a new habit.

She looks up to find her husband looking at her all wistful again and laughs. He does the same.

They're a little scared, yes. But so happy.