Chapter 18

The ride back was considerably slower than there as Erwin didn't want to jostle Morgana too much in her condition. "When Marie was pregnant, the doctor told her not to ride at all," said Nile. "Best to take it slow, Erwin."

Instead of making the longer journey back to Trost, Nile advised them to stop at a military installation just northeast of Mitras. Morgana needed to get off of that horse, he knew. Erwin also knew that Levi's squad had evacuated to the area after the call went out to arrest all scouts. It made sense to stop there for the night.

It was early evening when they arrived and they retired to the comfortable quarters reserved for officers that Nile had ridden ahead and procured for them. Morgana simply collapsed on the couch her arm thrown across her eyes. She was weak when they first found her, but some bread and water had revived her enough to ride with him. They hadn't spoken much after the initial rescue. She had leaned against his back quietly, holding him around his waist, with neither talking. She was worn, he could tell, but also seemed a bit distant.

But before Erwin could engage her there was a knock on the door. He opened it to find Nile holding a tray with some garments thrown over his arm.

"I thought you could use some nourishment," he said to Morgana, walking in and setting it on the small table. "Some soup and ginger tea—I didn't think you'd want anything too heavy. And I always brought Marie ginger tea when she was expecting. It's very good for nausea..."

"Thank you, Commander," said Morgana, rising and smiling at him warmly. She sat down and took up the tea. "Fortunately, I've never had much morning sickness in my pregnancies," she said absently. "Especially once I hit the second trimester."

Erwin could see puzzlement cross Nile's face. Pregnancies? Nile was pretty sure she and Erwin didn't have any children. He looked at Morgana sympathetically. Could that mean miscarriages?

Morgana glanced up at him just then, and when she saw his face she was suddenly flustered. She picked up the spoon quickly, "Umm—soup is perfect. You're very thoughtful, Commander. Marie is a lucky woman."

"Please, call me Nile," said the hovering MP.

For some reason, the exchange made Erwin, who had been standing silently by witnessing it, annoyed. But he wasn't sure who with. Nile, that asshole, with his cloying coddling of his wife—or Morgana. Was she trying to needle him, point out to him how deficient he was? Him, not even sure how many months pregnant she was, not knowing what would help morning sickness, not knowing anything, really, at all about her pregnancy? He, who typically knew everything about everything?

"Here," said Nile, holding up the garments. "I'm sure you'd want to change—I'll see if I can find an officer's wife who could perhaps lend you something, but I grabbed these from the quartermaster's." They were some standard issue military garments—comfortable enough looking for now.

"Thank you, Nile," said Erwin, a bit curtly, stepping toward the MP. "You've been most helpful. But now I think Morgana would like to get some rest. I'll check in with you tomorrow."

"Thank you, Commander Dok," said Morgana, not looking at Erwin, and turning her beautiful, sweet smile at the soldier. "I mean, Nile," she corrected herself. Nile smiled back, quite clearly taken with Morgana, who, even after being imprisoned for several weeks, managed to maintain her majestic air.

In his head, Nile could still hear her shimmering voice as he stood outside the king's chambers waiting to escort her. Heartbreakingly beautiful—just like all those years' ago when he'd heard her at that Wall Rose estate. She was so lovely and serene, even as a prisoner. And then so passionate when he came upon her with Erwin in that cell. Gods, of course Erwin would find the most enchanting and enticing woman in the kingdom and marry her. And then treat her like she was nothing, like she was his due.