Chapter Thirteen: The Movies

Chapter 13: The Movies

-----------

 Brooklyn’s POV

Waking up, I stretched in my bed and quickly got ready for school. Grabbing a shiny red apple, I polished it on my shirt, then opened my door and walked out whistling.

I had only taken two steps out of my house when I was knocked down by a solid object. Laying on the ground, I rubbed my head and cursed, "Dumb walls."

Looking up, I glared at Shawn who was smirking down at me. Standing up and brushing off my jeans, I returned his smirk. "Yup, that's one dumb wall alright."

A corner of his lip twitched upwards as he tried to hide his grin. Raising my eyebrow, I stood staring at him until he cracked. Flushing, he reached down and ruffled my hair. Growling, I swatted his hand away and grumbled, "What the hell are you doing at my house?"

"You mean we."

Hearing the voice, I peered over Shawn's shoulder and couldn't stop a frown that crawled its way to my face when I spotted Cy-Cy and Remy not far behind. When they reached me, I crossed my arms over my chest and eyed each of them suspiciously. When my gaze landed on Remy, I blushed and quickly looked away recalling what had happened last night.

Composing myself, I looked back up at them, making sure to avoid Remy's gaze. "So, what are you three doing here?"

Cy-Cy was the first to speak up. "Can't we visit a friend's house to walk them to school?"

Raising my eyebrow I looked at her in disbelief. She smiled at me and fondled her fingers behind her back mischievously. Raising my other eyebrow, I glanced over at Shawn.

"Well do you have any believable lies?" I stressed the word 'believable' to get my point across.

Shawn gave me a guilty grin while Remy tried to catch my eyes. I could feel his gaze boring through me when Remy answered back, "It wasn't my idea."

"As if that helps," I muttered under my breath. Shoving past them, I began walking towards the sidewalk that led to the school. I was halfway down my garage way when my arm was pulled back. Turning around, I faced Cy-Cy.

"Uh uh uh Brook. You're not leaving until you tell us what was up with you yesterday." She stood stone still with a vice grip hold on my arm. Her eyes shone with determination and I knew there was no way this girl was letting go until she got some answers.

Peeking over at Shawn, I noticed he held the same firm stance as his sister, except the fact that his jaw seemed to clench and unclench occasionally.

Ignoring the feelings my body gave off, I risked a glance at Remy. I shot him a look, asking for back up. He simply smiled slyly back at me then mouthed, 'you're on your own.'

Glaring at him, I pivoted back to Shawn and Cy-Cy and laughed sheepishly. They continued to stare me down until I was forced to speak.

"Well you see, it all started way back in junior high...-" There the three of us stood for half an hour, with me talking about my history with Remy and how we had become friends. I noticed the looks of sadness and anger that passed through their faces as I told my story. When I got to the part about Drake, they were nearly on the verge of exploding and Cy-Cy's hand was digging into my flesh. Once I had finished, I snatched my hand away from her and caressed it gently.

Noticing the awkward silence, I looked up from my hand massage and frowned slightly. Cy-Cy was nearly crying, I could tell from the way her eyes glistened and Shawn stood there with his teeth and hands clenched. Remy, who had been silent throughout my whole explanation, walked up to me and lightly touched my shoulders. Tingles shot through my body at his contact and I slowly backed away from him ignoring his flinch.

"And that's why we left so quickly at the ice cream shop."

We stood there, once again in awkward silence until Cy-Cy broke it by wrapping her arms around me. "Brooklyn!" Returning her gesture, I stroked her silky blonde hair and calmed her down.

Shawn walked over to me after Cy-Cy had released me from her death hold and wrapped an arm around my neck. His eyes were blazing and his jaw was locked firmly in place. "So basically, if we see the dude, we beat the living hell out of him?"

My mouth gaped open and I shot him a worried expression, "No no no no! I already talked to him and cleared it up. I don't want to wreck it any more than it has been!"

His facial expression grew softer and he ruffled my hair gently, "Ok, so we won't beat the living hell out of him. I'll just handle that on my own."

We stared at each other for a few minutes then bursted out laughing. Punching him playfully on the arm, I headed off to school with him at my side and Remy and Cy-Cy not far behind.

Shawn wrapped an arm protectively around me and I was suddenly filled with a strange warmth. Staring up at him, I met his gaze and held it. Grinning at each other foolishly, we continued to walk to school. In that half hour, I felt as if I had grown closer Shawn in a strange way.

--------------

“Finally the weekend! I thought it would never come!” Shawn wrapped an arm casually around my shoulders while our regular quartet walked out of the school. “Sooo shortie, you wanna come over to my place and par-tay it up?”

I rolled my eyes laughing, “No offense Shawn, but “par-taying it up” with you isn’t and probably won't ever be on my to-do-list.”

He mock pouted while Remy and Cy-Cy chuckled. “Aww shortie, not even at the bottom?”

Pulling out a fake list, I pretended to check it. “Nope. Nothing that has to do with you on it.”

“That’s mean shortie.”

“Aren’t you used to it by now?”

“Nope, not at all.”

He ruffled my hair playfully causing me to frown and grumble. Remy and Cy-Cy’s chuckles began to turn into laughter and I shot them an accusing glare.

“Sorry Rooky, but you're face was priceless.”

I looked towards Cy-Cy for back up. “Sorry Brooklyn, but he’s right.”

I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest. I grumbled a few curse words at Cy-Cy and Remy, muttering about the meaning of friendship, and how they were meant to follow it out. While I was ranting to myself, Shawn leaned down and whispered in my ear, “Hey I thought it was cute.”

I was about to shoot back a comeback like the smart aleck I am, but he kissed me on the cheek before I had the chance. Cy-Cy looked at me with her eyebrows raised; I knew exactly what she was thinking. Remy on the other hand, was unreadable. I really needed to talk to that boy in private sometime soon.

Shawn grinned down at me and smirked. I glared back, “You really need to stop doing that. It’s getting old.”

“You know you love it, shortie.”

“I’m not really sure I do, Shawnie boy.”

Shawn and I battled back and forth until they had to leave. I can’t say I was happy to see them go, especially when, in some weird twisted way, I liked arguing with Shawn. It’s actually pretty fun. I was watching them go when I felt a small tap on my shoulder. Swivelling around, I faced Remy and grinned.

“So what do you wanna do? Ice cream? Pizza?”

“Uhm actually, Rooky—“

“Or we can go to the mall.”

“Uh Rooky—“

“I know it hurts my feet and all, but you really seem to like shopping, so I can give it another go.”

“Rooky!” he yelled trying to get my attention.

I groaned and caressed my ears, “Jeez monkey, I'm right here. No need to yell.”

He rolled his eyes impatiently and I smirked, “You know, you look like a chick whenever you do that.”

“Whatever,” his face suddenly grew more serious, “look Rooky, I need to ta—“

“Hey Brooklyn!” Remy and I turned around simultaneously to see Eric running at us. Oh snap, crackle, and pop, Eric. I’d totally forgotten about him.

“H-hey Eric, what’s up?”

He cocked his head to the side and gave me a questioning look. “Well, uhm, have you thought about what I asked you, uh, before.”

From the corner of my eye, I could see Remy shooting me a confused look. Chuckling nervously, I smiled worriiedly up at Eric. Shit, shit, shit, I'm screwed. “Uhm, sorry Eric, but I don’t think I can. I mean, this is the second time I've talked to you. I just don’t know you well enough.”

“So if you knew me better, you would go out with me?”

I could clearly see Remy’s eyes spread wide open and his eyebrows raise up to the top of his forehead. “Uhm, uh, well—“

Relief washed over Eric’s face, “Well at least I know I stand a chance. Thanks Brooklyn, I’ll catch you later.”

He walked off with a grin on his face. Slowly, I turned around, hoping to explain what had just happened. “R-Remy, I'm uh, it’s just, that—“

He interrupted me and smiled. I noticed that it didn’t reach his eyes, “Nah its fine. It has nothing to do with me anyway. I can understand why you didn’t want to tell me now.”

My mouth gaped open from shock. I was not expecting this. “But Rooky, in all honesty, I thought that we were closer than that.”

“But Remy, I was go—“

“I said its fine. I’ll catch you later.”

He was long gone before I could think of anything to say. “What just happened?” Slumping my shoulders, I trudged home, nearly dragging my bag on the concrete. Dragging my feet into my house, I picked up a banana and sulked upstairs to my room. Falling backwards on to my bed, I rolled over in to a small ball.

I thought he would be more worried about me going out with Eric. How could he just brush it off like that? Did I really mean that little to him? Why do I even care?

Picking up a pillow, I threw it against the wall on the opposite side of my room, while picking up another one and hugging it close to my chest. Cy-Cy was wrong. Remy doesn’t like me in that way and he probably never will. I shouldn’t bother myself about this anymore.

My thoughts were interrupted by a vibration from my pocket. Pulling out my phone, I opened it to see a text from Eric.

~hey u wanna go watch a movie 2nite?

Going to watch a movie was the last thing on my mind right now, especially when I had so many other things to worry about. Things having to do with monkeys. Wait a second here. Why shouldn’t I have any fun? Those problems could wait, right? Feeling more optimistic, I quickly texted him back.

~sure. wat movie are we gonna watch?

~I am number four?

~ok thts cool.

Setting down my phone, I lay on my bed, thinking. As I was beginning to get comfortable, my phone began to ring. Reaching out half asleep, I picked it up and answered.

“Hello?”

“Hey Brooklyn, its Eric.”

“Oh, hey Eric, what’s up?”

“Nothing much. I just wanted to get our plans for the movie straight.”

For 30 minutes, I lay in bed planning out the movie with Eric. We decided that he would pick me up and we would go straight to the movies.

Hanging up, I got up from my bed and wandered off lazily to my closet. Placing my hands on my hips, I scoured around the shelves and racks, searching for something to wear. Eventually, I gave up on the dressy approach and stayed with the plain Jane look. Grabbing my black ripped skinny's, I put them on while picking up my long red sleeveless shirt and throwing it over my head.

Picking up a brush, I combed through my hair, tugging at the tangles and knots. When I had managed to get most of the hairy tangles out, I found my knitted black beanie hat and put it on my head. Not bothering to put any make up on, because I never bothered with that crud, I double-checked myself in the mirror, and walked out of my room.

Flopping back on my couch, I sat there bored flipping through channels. Occassionally, I would glance up at the clock and give an annoyed sigh. It had been almost an hour since I had come downstairs, but the clock still said it was 5:00. I swear the minute hand was not moving.

Slumping deeper into the couch, I began sinking into the soft cushions; my eyelids suddenly feeling a lot heavier. I was almost out when a knock sounded at my door. Snapping my eyes open, I got up and headed for the door. Swinging the door open, I looked up into the face of Eric. He was wearing baggy blue jeans and a plain white shirt. As I worked my way up, I caught his gaze. He grinned brightly down at me and I couldn't help, but to return the gesture. In all honesty, I had to say he looked extremely good looking even though he was wearing casual clothes. Not half as good as Remy would look in it though.

Wait. Why was I thinking about Remy? I felt my lips curl down slightly in a frown. Mentally slapping and scolded myself, I pasted a smile back on to my face.

"You ready to go?"

I nodded then followed him outside to his car, shutting the door behind myself.

-----------------

The whole drive there, we were listening to some Nickelback crap. They aren't half bad, but I would rather be jammin' out to Chris Brown or Beyonce.

I thanked the heavens when we pulled up to the movie theatre and he turned off the engine. Unlocking the car, he rushed around the hood and stopped at my door. I raised my eyebrows and hesitantly thanked him when he opened my door.

Stepping out of the car, we made our way to the movie theatre. We were a tad bit early for the movie so we decided to get our tickets and food, and go in early.

After getting our tickets, we headed over the the concession to grab our food. Walking away with one large popcorn and two large drinks, we headed to the theatre.

Finding the theatre empty, we chose seats second to the top and got comfortable. We sat in an awkward silence, unmoving until people began to pile in and we were forced to stand up to allow them through.

As the movie came on and began to play, we started to relax and whisper comments about it. The occasional awkward moments came back when our hands touched in the popcorn bowl, but other than that, I can say it was smooth sailing. I, myself, couldn't help cracking up when the bad guy shoved a buzz saw ball into a nerd's mouth. People's weird looks didn't escape my view, but what can I say? I have a weird sense of humor.

During the movie, Eric had managed to edge closer to me in his seat and now had his arm wrapped around me. As much as I didn't know him, I couldn't help the comfortable feeling it gave me.

The movie ended and my eyes adjusted to the change in light. Walking out, we headed outside and filed back into his car. The whole ride back, instead of listening to Nickelback, we talked about the movie. I hadn't even noticed when he pulled up to my house.

Turning in his seat, he faced me smiling nervously. Flashing a wide grin at him, I leaned over and hugged him. Pulling back, I smiled at his embarrassed expression as his cheeks grew red.

“Thanks for taking me to the movies.”

He shuffled in his seat then looked at me seriously. “So Brook, about the whole dating thing?”

Now was my turn to grown nervous. Breathing deeply and gulping, I looked him dead in the eye and answered back just as serious, “Look, Eric. It was fun, but, I don’t think I want to date you. You're just, not the right person. Please don’t take it too badly though, because you are a nice guy. I hope we can stay friends though because I really had fun today.”

He smiled slightly, not allowing it to reach the full capacity I knew it was capable of. “That’s ok Brook. I had fun with you too and I'm sure we can stay friends.”

Hugging him one last time, I began to open the door of the car when I felt a hand on my arm. Swivelling around, I faced Eric with a confused expression. Without saying a word, he leaned in and kissed me on the corner of my mouth.

At first, I was shocked and sat there with my hand on the door handle, frozen. After a while, I looked at Eric and smiled. Waving good-bye, I climbed out of his car and headed into my house.

---------------