INTO THE DARKNESS pt. 8

Gabrielle stood in front of the mysterious fountain as she stared down the evil part of Xena. The two of them still gripping the chakrum.

EVIL XENA
Oh Gabrielle, Gabrielle. What exactly do you plan on doing? We both know you can't over power me. So why don't you jist be a good girl and let go.

Gabrielle refused the release her grip.

EVIL XENA
Come on, don't be stupid.

GABRIELLE
The fact that I ever thought you were actually Xena, makes me think that I might be.

EVIL XENA
Well at least you admit it. Now I'll be taking this back.

The evil Xena ripped the Chakrum from Gabrielle, slicing her hand.

GABRIELLE
Gah!

EVIL XENA
(sarcasm) Oh no Gabrielle. Did I hurt you?

Xena's dark side cackled as Gabrielle backed off, clenching her hand closed.

EVIL XENA
I told you, you don't stand a chance against me. So why don't you jist give it up and run back home, little girl.

Gabrielle raised her uninjured hand back up, ready to continue their battle.

GABRIELLE
I don't have to run anywhere, because Xena is my home. And I will get her back.

EVIL XENA
Fine if you really insist on getting yourself killed. Then who am I to stop you?

Xena's evil side drew her sword and began swinging at Gabrielle. Their steel clashed as Gabrielle fended her off. They fought all around the area. Suddenly the evil Xena kneed Gabrielle in the stomach, causing her to drop her guard as she staggered back. Then Xena's dark side charged, swinging her sword. Gabrielle blocked, but force of the attack knocked the sai out of her hand.

EVIL XENA
Well now this is gonna be too easy.

She sheathed her sword and began beating Gabrielle with her bare hands. Gabrielle fought back, though it seemed to be in vein. Then with a powerful blow the evil Xena knocked Gabrielle to the ground.

EVIL XENA
You really are pathetic.

Xena's dark side grabbed Gabrielle by the throat, choking her. Gabrielle struggled, trying to pry her hands off.

EVIL XENA
I guess this is goodbye, Gabrielle.

Gabrielle fought but couldn't break the evil Xena's hold. She felt herself beginning to fade as tried to get free. Weak from lack of oxygen, her arms fell to her sides.

GABRIELLE
(thinking to herself) I wasn't able to stop her. I couldn't get the real you back. I'm sorry, Xena.

Gabrielle closed her eyes and felt herself begin to drift into oblivion. As everything went dark, Gabrielle couldn't help but feel like she had failed Xena. She began to let herself sink deeper into the darkness, allowing it to envelope her. Then she heard a small voice, that seemed to be coming from within.

INSIDE GABRIELLE'S MIND-
?
Don't give up.. Fight...you have to fight Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE
What? Who's there?

?
Come on your stronger then this. Now get up.

GABRIELLE
I can't. She's too strong.

?
Don't tell me you let her get to you? Come on Gabrielle, that's not like you at all. What happened to the strong, brave, fierce Gabrielle I know. You never let me down before. I know you won't now.

GABRIELLE
Xena?

?
Come on Gabrielle. You can do this. All you have to do is open your eyes.

GABRIELLE
Xena? Xena...! She's counting on me to set her free. I can't let her stay stuck in her own mind, while the evil she fought so hard to rid herself of stays out there reeking havok. I have to save her. Xena!

BACK IN REALITY-
Gabrielle opened her eyes. The evil Xena was still squeezing down on her throat. She was so consumed with ending Gabrielle, that she didn't notice Gabrielle regain consciousness. Glancing over, Gabrielle saw one of her sais on the ground. Though barely able to move and still unable to breathe, she reached out and managed to grab it. Then Gabrielle drove the blade into the evil Xena's shoulder.

EVIL XENA
GAH!

She let go of Gabrielle as she stood up, clenching her shoulder. Gabrielle sat up as she gasp, feeling air finally being allowed into her lungs. Catching her breath, she got to her feet. Still holding her wound, Xena's dark side turned towards Gabrielle.

EVIL XENA
What do I have to do to get rid of you?

GABRIELLE
You can't. But I am getting rid of you. And getting my Xena back.

EVIL XENA
That's it, I'm ending this.

Xena's dark side drew her sword again, charging Gabrielle. Again Gabrielle blocked. Then weapons locked, the evil Xena kept pushing. Backing Gabrielle up against the fountain. Pushing her sword closer and closer to Gabrielle's face. As she hung just above the water.

EVIL XENA
Well Gabrielle, any last final words before I finish you?

GABRIELLE
Yea. The good Xena says hi.

EVIL XENA
What?

Suddenly a hand shot up from within the fountain, grabbing the evil Xena's arm.

EVIL XENA
No!

Xena's dark side tried to pull away, but couldn't break the grip. With her distracted, Gabrielle got out from under her. She got behind the evil Xena and began pushing. Trying to get her into the fountain.

EVIL XENA
NO! NO!

Finally after a struggle Xena's dark side was forced into the fountain. Gabrielle watched as the evil Xena disappeared beneath the water.

GABRIELLE
Xena?!

Back inside the subconscious, the evil Xena stood up.

XENA
(smirking) Welcome back.

TO BE CONTINUED...