INTO THE DARKNESS pt.1

The sun was setting over the horizon, painting the sky a mariot of colors. A soothing calm set in as dusk fell onto the quiet valley below. Xena and Gabrielle had just finished settling up camp for the night.

GABRIELLE
There all set. So what's for dinner?

Xena shrugged, as she sat there sharpening her sword.

XENA
What do we have packed?

Gabrielle went over to the satchel they kept their food in.

GABRIELLE
Uh Xena..

She pulled out one small piece of bread.

GABRIELLE
I seem to remember telling you at the last village we were in, that we needed more food.

XENA
Yea, I thought you were getting it.

GABRIELLE
(annoyed) I was busy getting the other things we needed. That's why I mentioned it to you.

XENA
Sorry.

Xena continued sharpening her sword. Gabrielle tossed the piece of bread at her head. Xena gave her a questioning look.

GABRIELLE
Dinner?

XENA
Alright, alright.

Xena got up and went to find them something to eat. Gabrielle sat for a while, poking at the campfire as she waited for Xena to return. Out of bordum she looked up at the sky, seeing the dark clouds as they began to roll in.

GABRIELLE
(thinking to herself) I hope Xena gets back soon, it looks like it's gonna rain.

Meanwhile Xena had just finished fishing out their dinner and was heading back to camp. Suddenly there was a loud crack of thunder. Xena looked up, seeing the storm brewing overhead. She hurried back to their camp and saw Gabrielle was already packing up.

GABRIELLE
I really hope there's some shelter around here.

XENA
Yea, let's get moving.

They set of to find some place to hunker down until the storm passed. Just as they were leaving, the rain began to fall, pouring down on them. Xena and Gabrielle ran through the rain as they searched for shelter from the storm. Xena went ahead to scout. As she searched, she spotted a cave. She waited for Gabrielle to catch up.

XENA
There's a cave up ahead. We can stay there while we wait out the storm.

Xena and Gabrielle quickly made their way to the cave. Once inside, they sat down to rest.

GABRIELLE
Just our luck, we just finish setting up camp and it starts raining.

Xena held up the fish she caught.

XENA
Well, I got dinner.

Gabrielle couldn't help but laugh at Xena's nonchalant comment. They got a fire going, cooked their food and ate.

XENA
We should probably get out of these wet clothes, don't wanna catch a cold.

GABRIELLE
(smirking) Right, I'm sure that's the only reason.