INTO THE DARKNESS PT. 5

After storming off upset from the exchange between herself and who she thought was the Xena she knew. Gabrielle walked along, thinking to herself. Completely baffled by the recent changes she had seen in Xena's personality. She found quite spot to sit and think. As she tried to decide what to do.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) Why would Xena say those things? There must be some reason she's acting so differently. Is she trying to protect me from something by driving me away?

Gabrielle scrapped that theory. Deciding it didn't make sense. Xena had tried shielding her from things before. But she never acted like this. She continued pondering "Xena's" recent actions.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) I know Something's not not right. Xena's not herself. I need to find what happened, to make her acting like this. I have to help her.

Gabrielle turned and walked back to camp. She felt disappointed with herself. How could she have left Xena's side. When Xena clearly needed help. When Gabrielle returned, she was relieved to see that Xena was still there. She was sitting there sharpening her sword. Gabrielle went and sat beside her. The evil Xena glared over at her as she continued working on her sword.

EVIL XENA
(thinking to herself sarcastically) Great she's back.

Gabrielle sat quietly for a few moments, as she searched for the right words to say. After gathering her thoughts, she turned to who she thought was her Xena.

GABRIELLE
Look Xena, I don't know what you've been going through. But I want you to know that I'm here.

EVIL XENA
What makes you think I'm going through anything

GABRIELLE
You're kidding right? Ever since we left that cave, you've been acting completely different.

EVIL XENA
So what.

GABRIELLE
So what ever it is, you can tell me.

EVIL XENA
Everything's fine Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE
Come on, something happened didn't it?

Xena's dark side stood up.

EVIL XENA
(angry tone) Look I already told you, nothing happened. Now drop it.

GABRIELLE
please will you just talk to me.

The evil Xena stared down at Gabrielle.

EVIL XENA
I'm warning you Gabrielle. Let it go.

The look she received sent chills down Gabrielle's spine. The blue eyes that were filled with love, kindness and compassion. Where now just icey, cold and had a darkness behind them that she had never seen before. Feeling uncomfortable, Gabrielle looked away.

GABRIELLE
Ok Xena.

Gabrielle decided not to pursue her line of questioning. At least not at that time. Though Gabrielle was determined to figure out what was going on. Xena's dark side stood up and began walking off.

GABRIELLE
Hey, wait up.

Gabrielle followed, keeping a little bit of distance between them. She figured she could observe "Xena" for any sort of clues that could help her. As they traveled, they came to a busy town. Gabrielle followed Xena's dark side into a tavern. They walked up to the crowded bar.

GABRIELLE
Looks like it's full. I'll get a table.

EVIL XENA- You can do whatever you want. I'm sitting at the bar

She grabbed one of the men sitting at the counter, dragged him off his seat and sat down. Motioning to the bartender for a drink.

BAR PATRON
What the? I was sitting there.

EVIL XENA
And now I am. Now get lost.

BAR PATRON
Who do you think you are?!

EVIL XENA
You'll find out unless you don't get out of here.

BAR PATRON
What did you say?!

He grabbed her shoulder. Xena's dark side looked at his hand. Gabrielle could feel the tension in the air.

GABRIELLE
Xena wait a....

But before Gabrielle could finish, Xena's evil self grabbed his arm and flipped him over her shoulder. Slamming him onto the bar. Breaking glasses and knocking stuff all over. Making a complete mess. Obviously the bartender wasn't happy about this.

BARTENDER
Alright take it outside!

Xena evil doppelganger looked at the bartender, giving him a devilish smile.

EVIL XENA
You want some too?

Gabrielle tried to intervene, but it was too late. Xena's dark side grabbed the bartenders hair and smacked his face off the counter, breaking his nose. Other bar goers stepped in to try and stop the commotion. But soon enough things had broken down into a full on bar fight. Xena's evil self laughed, as she enjoyed the brawl. Then one of the bar patrons grabbed a chair and broke it over her back, knocking her to the ground.

EVIL XENA
Gah!

Gabrielle saw the smile leave her face and turn to a scowl. She got a terrible feeling as she watched "Xena" get back up. The evil Xena drew her sword and trust it behind her, driving it deep into the bar patrons stomach. Time seemed to slow as Gabrielle watched the woman she thought she knew needlessly cut a man's life short. She looked at "Xena" and not only did she not see any shread of remorse. What she saw was a look of pure bliss. Gabrielle felt her heart sink. Then she saw "Xena" turn her attention to the other patrons.

GABRIELLE
Xena stop! What are you doing?!

Gabrielle quickly got between the evil Xena and the rest of the bar goers.

GABRIELLE
These are innocent people.

EVIL XENA
Innocent? HE attacked me.

GABRIELLE
With a chair. There was no need to kill him.

EVIL XENA
I kill people all the time. Since when do you have a problem with that?

GABRIELLE
What? You and I both know that is not the same thing.

Gabrielle looked at the woman standing before her.

GABRIELLE
It's like I don't even know you anymore.

Xena's evil side turned and began walking away.

EVIL XENA
Maybe you never did.

TO BE CONTINUED...