𝐒𝐈𝐗

𝒎 𝒖 𝒎 𝒎 𝒚

"Oh! I've dreamed about this day since I was a little girl

"Oh! I've dreamed about this day since I was a little girl." Evy smiled as Jonathan and Rick lifted the sarcophagus upright.

"You dream about dead guys?" Rick asked, the tiniest hint of jealousy hinting his tone.

"Lose a pulse and you're a shoe in." You smirked, nudging the man. 

He gave you a look, but your amusement didn't falter.

"Look, his sacred spells have been chiseled off. This man must have been condemned not only in this life, but in the next." Evy stated, examining the place where the inscription should have been.

"Tough break," Rick sighed.

"Yeah, I'm all tears. Now, let's see who's inside, shall we?" Jonathan grunted as he turned the key.

"Wait!" You exclaimed, a little louder than you meant to. 

They all turned to you, awaiting an explanation, and you cursed under your breath as you scrambled to find one. 

"Maybe...we shouldn't. I mean, you heard the men last night. Whatever they're protecting, or rather, keeping us from opening, seems serious."

"Come one, (y/n). We came all this way. We might as well see what's inside. Don't tell me you're getting cold feet now," Rick teased.

"I'm not," you firmly corrected. "I just don't think we should mess around with this kinda stuff."

"Let's just open it. What harm ever came from looking at a dead body?" Jonathan asked.

"No-!" But before you could finish, they pulled it open, and you suddenly felt so ill you thought you'd vomit right there on the floor. 

It wasn't the mummy itself—you had seen tons of them before—but it was the swooping darkness that settled over the room, so potent that you were afraid your heart would blacken just by being near it.

"I can't stay here." You snapped, turning around and briskly walking out of the chamber, leaving the others confused and concerned.

But you didn't care. All you knew was that you had to get out.

Once out of their earshot, you practically ran out of the temple, heading straight for your tent. 

You wanted as much distance between you and the sarcophagus as possible.

Frustrated, you threw open the flap and shut it quickly, plopping yourself down on your sleeping bag.

I just need to sleep. I'll  think of what to do once I'm well rested.

With a sigh, you laid down and tugged your knees into your chest, before shutting your eyes and allowing yourself to drift to sleep.