𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

𝒎 𝒖 𝒎 𝒎 𝒚

You and Rick were walking down the Cairo boardwalk so you could meet up with Jonathan and Evy at the barge, looking around at all the bustling people passing by

"So what's the plan?" You asked, turning to the man with a raised brow. 

"Get them there, get them back, go our separate ways. Simple," he answered with a nod.

"As if. I saw the way you were looking at Evelyn," you smirked, nudging him with your elbow. 

"What? No," he dismissed, scoffing at your implication. 

"That kiss says otherwise. I've seen you kiss other women and you've never been that passionate," you added, innocently.

"I was about to be hanged. Seemed like a good thing to do before I go," he shrugged off. 

You rolled your eyes, scoffing at his lack of romance.

Men.

You often wondered why they couldn't just be gentlemen. Always so brutish and uncaring and...annoying.

It made you feel like the days of kind and shameless lovers were over.

Finally reaching the barge, you both approached Evy and Jonathan—whose backs were turned— and caught wind of their conversation. 

"Personally, I think he's disgusting, rude, and a complete scoundrel," Evy spat, turning to her brother. 

"Evy," you winced, forcing Evelyn to snap her head around. A sheepish smile adorned your face as you pointed to Rick with your thumb, shaking your head no

He'd heard her. 

"Smashing day to start an adventure, eh O'Connell?" Jonathan quickly changed the subject, patting Rick on the chest. 

"Yeah. Smashing." Rick warily nodded, rubbing his jacket pocket to double check if his wallet was still there. 

"Don't worry. I don't steal from partners," Jonathan smiled. 

"Good to know." You sighed, rolling your eyes. 

"Hey, no hard feelings about the...uh..." Rick made a punching motion, forcing you to muffle your snicker at the memory.

"Oh, no need. It's happened many times before," Jonathan laughed. 

Something tells me that is absolutely true.

"Mr. O'Connell, can you look me in the eyes and guarantee me this isn't some kind of flimflam? Because if it is, I am warning you-" "You're warning me?" Rick scoffed at Evelyn's threat.

"Lady, let me put it this way: our whole damn garrison believed in this so much, that without orders they marched halfway across Libya and into Egypt to find that city. And when we got there, all we found was sand and blood,"