Chapter One - Memories

Chapter One

Why did my life have to be like this? Why me? Hadn't I been punished enough!? I was 18 for Christ's sake, leave me be! 

"Please!" my best friend, Emilia asked with a pleading look present in her eyes. She was desperate for me to say 'yes'. Emilia had managed to win two VIP tickets to all new, highly successful boy band, The Wanted's concert and was practically on her knees, begging for me to go with her. Little did she know about my past closeness with them. Well, one member...

*

"C'mon!" the younger me squealed, clinging on to my best friend's arm.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" he shrieked. Nathan. My best friend since the first day of nursery when he defended me against the boys who were trying to steal a toy I was playing with. 

We ran to the slide and took it in turns to go down, screaming every time we slid. Eventually we became tired of running up and down the ladders of the slide and decided to relax on the swings to catch our breath. 

"Nathan?" I said, catching my friend's attention.

"Yeah?" he turned to me with a curious look on his face.

"You know you're my best friend, right?" he nodded as I waited for a reply.

"And you're mine. Best friends forever?" he says leaning towards me, making his pinkie finger present to make the promise real.

I clasped my own pinkie finger around his own and nodded with glee, "And ever."

*

Those were the days. I missed them. No matter how much he hurt me, I'd still miss us being friends. We stayed best friends and kept that promise. But when we started high school, things changed. He went his way, I went mine. He became one of the more 'popular' ones of everyone; I didn't, so I was left out a lot. I don't know if he actually noticed until it was too late, but we drifted apart. We tried at the beginning to maintain our friendship, but his new friends didn't exactly approve of me and I wasn't going to stick around where I wasn't wanted. Especially since he never said a word to them about it. To stop or just put up with me, for him at least. He let them carry on and let me drift into the background.

Even though all that happened, I liked him. More than a friend. It didn't really make sense seeing as he left me, but he was the only one who truly knew me for me. But that still didn't change the fact that he left me. I couldn't even bring myself to say his name. And even when I did, I struggled. All the memories come back and I couldn't take it.

After we drifted apart, he acted as if I didn't exist. Throughout the rest of my school days, I was bullied. Not physically, but verbally. I was always branded the 'ugly', 'nerdy' one. And for the people who didn't say it, everyone knew they were thinking it. 

At the end of high school, I heard that he had an audition for a band and that he got in. I wanted to congratulate him. Run up to him and scream "I knew you'd get the part!", but that would have been awkward for everyone, so I never did.

When he left to be in the band, I was officially alone. Even though we didn't talk, he was still there; at school, in my presence. But he wasn't anymore. He'd gone. That year was the worst for me. If him leaving wasn't enough, I lost my mum that year too. She had cancer, but we didn't find out until she had days to live. It was too late and too severe to treat. It was a pretty traumatic time for me and my family, but we managed to get through it in the end. I'd always been close to her, (and Nathan at some point in my life), but now they'd both gone. Only difference was my mum would have never been able to come back. It wasn't her fault, but it was the reality. However, if Nathan wanted to, he could have. I don't think he even remembered me. Probably not. We hadn't spoken in years. Why would he remember me? I didn't know.

Emilia's face was inches away from mine, her eyes tried to look puppy like, "Please say you'll come with me! Please, please, please!? If you don't come, I won't be able to go!" she pouted.

Great, the 'feel sorry for me' treatment. If I said yes, I would be faced with him again. If I said no, Emilia wouldn't be able to go and she'd be upset for weeks and it would be all my fault. Ugh! Why do I have to be such a people pleaser!?

"Okay, fine!" I huffed, "I'll go with you."