Chapter 15 (Final Part)

Washington DC, America
Hospital
December 10th
1100 Hours

I was pretty out of it most of the time, but the most I remember was falling unconscious, waking up in a hospital, then on a plane, and now I'm here.
I slowly got up from the bed.
Bandages were wrapped snugly around my head and lower back where the shelf hit me.
I felt a shooting pain in my head and groaned.
"Try not to move too much... You don't have a concussion, but you still hit your head pretty hard..."
A nurse came in and laid me back down.
"Where are my friends...?" I asked.
"They dropped you off earlier this morning and left, but one insisted on staying. He's right over there." The nurse pointed to an occupied chair.
Murray was the one sitting there, bouncing his leg nervously.
When he saw me awake, his face lit up.
"Ben! You're okay!"
He immediately rushed over to my bed.
"Murray...? What are you doing here...?" Was all I could muster.
"I just came to collect my...reward..."
"What reward?" I asked, genuinely confused.
"The note I wrote you?"
Oh. Right.
"Wait, you were serious...?" I said.
"Completely! Now come on, I don't have all day!" Murray leaned in closer.
Out of all the things he could've asked for...why did he ask for a kiss?
Blackmail? Most likely.
But, not having any other choice, I sucked it up and pecked his cheek.
His hand reached up to his cheek and he smiled like he just won the lottery.
Seriously! He looked like he was on Cloud Nine!
He enjoyed that kiss way too much for it to be blackmail...
"Eh, it's not a kiss on the lips for a full minute but I'll take what I can get." He shrugged.
"What was that even for...?!" I threw my hands up.
For a brief moment, Murray just froze. "Uh..."
"I just wanted to...test...something..." He stuttered out.
With a groan, I just laid back down.
I'm in too much pain to think.
I'll talk to Erica about it later.
"Is that all?" I raised an eyebrow.
"Yep! That's it! Goodbye!" Murray rushed out the door.
I'm sorry, is it the headache or is he really acting that weird?
It's probably nothing.
Mike walked into my room. When he saw I was awake he smiled.
"Hey Ben! I've got good news!" He sat down in the chair next to the bed. "We caught the boss!"
I breathed a sigh of relief at that news.
I'm so glad we don't have to hunt down another criminal mastermind...
"Well, it was actually the police that got him... Needless to say he didn't really plan out his escape route..." Mike shrugged.
I laughed.
"So...how're you feeling?" He looked at me with concern in his eyes.
"I'm feeling fine, all things considered..." I said. "But I have a question..."
Mike gestured for me to continue.
"Was everyone gonna leave me there? If it wasn't for you, would I even still be alive?"
Mike wore an expression of guilt and nodded. "I tried telling them that you were still in there, but nobody listened to me..."
"Except for Murray apparently..."
"Yeah, that was super weird... Even when Erica and Zoe kept running away, Murray came back and helped me." Mike said. "I thought he hated your guts?"
I sighed.
"It's complicated..."
"Well, in any case, I'm so glad you're okay..." Mike wrapped me in a tight hug.
A loud ring sounded from Mike's pocket.
"Oh, it's Erica. They want me back at school. Get better soon, okay?" He tousled my hair and left the hospital room.
My head was swirling with questions, but I didn't have the energy to address any of them...
I'm too tired... it's been a long mission for me...
I hope I finally catch a break this time....