Chapter 8. An Omen of Death

*

The Princess and co. embark on a journey to Akkala, which is then swiftly, and morbidly interrupted.

*

The last day of summer approached as any other before it. However, as the day arrived, there grew a general hum of excitement, and the preparation of something new — a feeling that Link hadn't felt since he'd arrived two years ago.

The previous weekend, a large notice board had been pinned up outside the barracks, and after an hour or so, it proved to cause quite a stir within the expanding group of young soldiers who swarmed and bustled around it — chattering with great intrigue.

The print read as follows:

————————————————————————"ORDER OF HYRULE"-An official notice by order of the King, Roham Bosphoramus

"ORDER OF HYRULE"
-An official notice by order of the King, Roham Bosphoramus.-
TO THE KNIGHTS AND YOUTH OF THE REALM:

10th - 13th of the month.

DETAILS PROVIDED:
'Four selected knights will be given the opportunity to accompany a troop on an expedition to the Akkala highlands, exporting the Princess on horseback to the Techlab and back. This will be a three day trip, including camping overnight, and designated training sessions throughout the day.'

EXPEDITION REQUIREMENTS:
'Soldiers interested in the above must be
thirteen - sixteen years of age, and approved by their associated general with a signature.'

'If no signature is provided, the individual
will be unable to attend the expedition. Should this prove to be an issue or concern for the individual, they are to take it up with the officer in command.'

(Camping equipment and food provided.)
————————————————————————

Of course, Link was only able to decipher the source of the commotion through snippets of other people's conversations — the gist of it, being a three day trip to Akkala — with the Princess.

Alas: the culprit of the uproar.

Several of the boys had already started writing their names on the sign up sheet below the notice in hopes of being picked, and, when Link drew closer, there at least a dozen or so names listed — a percentage of them either scrawled over and then rewritten, or edited by someone else in some immature manner — as was the usual.

"Putting your name down, Link?" Renado approached the blonde from behind, absentmindedly twirling a thin stick of graphite between his fingers.

"Maybe," was the reply.

"There's a good chance you'll be picked to go whether or not you want to, considering what the king said," — Link had recounted the majority of Roham's 'little' pep talk to him a few weeks back — "you may as well make it look like an accident."