Chapter 7

Stede's POV

The dock was getting further away, and as I watched the sunlight dim just above the horizon. It was all I had imagined and more. The smell and the sound of waves crashing against the boat, the rocking from the buoyancy of the boat. It felt so new but was so welcomed as I looked upon the last light of the day. "Hey, we're having a meeting for the new crew. Duties and such," Ed told me, to which I nodded and pushed off the railing that I leaned on, facing him in the fading light. It seemed so peaceful in the moment. The features of his beard, the little colors that didn't even show otherwise. Before I could even get a really good look at his eyes, he turned around, walking to where the dining area was. The stairs going down weren't steep, which I had gladly requested in the build since it was a terrible hazard to have steep stairs. That was another terrible story on the ladder along the ship, which was a story for no time. I got down to the bottom, seeing the crew assembled, and packed into the space in a circle of sorts, awaiting instructions. Kind of more like an oval, but that wasn't anything to complain about.

"Hello, crew. I'm Captain Bonnet and this is Captain Ed," I introduced myself, seeing everyone looking at the two of us now. This group of men seemed to be a bit awkward, but it was understandable considering there weren't very many men who had been introduced prior to arranging the crew. I waved a bit, looking at Ed and seeing him nod, though I wasn't sure if it was encouragement or a means to go ahead with whatever I had in mind. Either way, I stood there for a few seconds too long to try to figure it out. I cleared my throat and looked at the assembled group, smiling a bit. "Introductions and duties, please," Ed commanded, looking at everyone, trying to see if anyone would speak up first. Guess he beat me to it. I saw someone out of the corner of my eye move a little bit before hearing a voice speak up from the awkwardly silent crowd. "Well, I guess I'll go first. Hello, I'm Oluwande, I'm good with cannons and cleaning, and knots. You can call me Olu," He introduced himself, facing the person next to him. "This is Jim, my partner- er, um, in crime. He's good with knives and overall battle, though he's mute," Oluwande told the group, everyone looking around and murmuring before settling down. I remember it being mentioned in our first meeting that Jim was a mute, I'm not sure if it was by choice, but no one was judged on this ship. It was rather easy with this decision, having been judged my whole life, I wanted to give someone with an open mind to talk to, make a change in my life. I tried my best not to judge others.

"Hello, I'm Swede, I'm good with sailing and direction, and singing," Swede spoke, his name not fazing anyone as far as I could find. Murmuring was heard amongst the group again before someone stuck up their hand a bit. "My name is Frenchie, I'm good with the Lute and sewing, I'm not sure what else, probably drawing," He told us, and hooray being called out, most likely for having a musician on board. "I'm Roach, I'm the cook I guess and a butcher. And I can mend a wound if needed," Another announced, a sigh of relief being heard from one of the men.

"I'm Wee John, I'm brute strength, or that is why I was hired I believe," A tall and sturdy man announced from the corner, to which everyone kind of scarcely greeted before turning to the rest of the group to see who was next. "Well, I'm Lucius, I read and write, I believe that's why I'm here. I also sketch if anyone is interested. Can't do much else," The man that I specifically recruited announced, holding a book to his chest. Supposedly, it was the book he had been reading in the bar, or so I guessed considering that he was about the first person on board.

"I'm Black Pete, I'm good with fighting and I used to be on Blackbeard's crew so I'm pretty well trained," A man confidently announced, to which I looked at Ed and lifted an eyebrow, seeing him shrug as he waved it off. "I'm Buttons, I can steer a ship, I'm also a good fighter, even have my metal teeth if I need to rip out a fucker's throat," I heard from a rather wary man that stood out from the group. Which was pretty hard since we all seemed to be a bunch of misfits. "Duly noted, but I don't think that'll be necessary. Welcome to all of you, I hope you enjoy your time aboard this vessel," I greeted, seeing everyone look rather uncertain as they looked around.

"Well, with that said, there is a weekly wage and I guess all the duties have been set, if you need me, I'll be aboard in the captain's cabin getting things sorted," I announced, turning on my heel to head up the stairs, and then another set of stairs that I had to climb to the actual cabin. Looking around, I felt at home immediately and found that the space was complete with the last few books that I had brought with me. "Jim is already checking the knots, I think they're a pretty valuable piece of the crew," Ed told me, making me jump a bit as I turned around to see him standing there, looking around at the cabin. "This looks pretty cool, very original," Ed whispered, looking at me as I looked at him. "Glad you think so," I whispered, smiling a little and turning around again, my face feeling a little warmer than normal. Should be fine.