Chapter 9

Stede's POV

After having stayed outside for longer than intended, Ed and I had come into the captain's cabin. He stretched a bit, his stomach showing a tiny bit before he put his arms by his side. I averted my gaze and went to take off my overshirt before looking at Ed. "Where are both of us sleeping?" He asked, to which I realized, there was only one bed. I felt a flash of heat come to my face as I realized that I hadn't figured this out beforehand. I don't know whether it was embarrassment or anything other, but I definitely couldn't speak for a moment.

"T-there's a couch, one of us could sleep on," I proposed in a moment of panic, seeing Ed shake his head. "Bad back and it'll fuck with my knee," He told me, looking at me as he messed with his beard, his fingers subconsciously twiddling with the ends. "And I can't because my back will twist and I'll end up with a creak in my neck," I mumbled, trying to think of anything else. The kid's room was never finished, I had it removed from the plans after Mary had made it very clear she never wanted Alma nor our son on the sea.

"Look, we're grown men, it doesn't matter. We can just share the bed," Ed mumbled, his hands resting on his belt. "Good idea, I haven't got any more ideas otherwise," I told him, shaking off my shoes and socks before putting on slippers so I didn't get a splinter in my foot. "Would you like to borrow anything to sleep in? Leather looks a bit uncomfortable to sleep in," I offered, barely being able to see Ed's face, though I could see him nod. "Which one is the thing that opens the door?" Ed asked in a whisper, inching toward me so I could hear him.

"Um- little thing, kind of like a small mannequin," I told him, seeing him slightly nod before disappearing off to change. I put my shoes away, putting on a nightgown before taking off my pants and putting them away as well. It didn't take long before I was ready for bed, looking out the window in my small bedroom. It was dark, but the little bit of the moon that was showing illuminated the waves that moved rapidly.

I felt a warm breath brush my neck and jumped, turning around to see Ed standing there with his hands held up in self-defense. "Sorry, Ed, wasn't expecting you to pop out so soon. Figured it'd take a lot longer to get the leather off," I admitted, fixing my nightgown a big from having it bunch up with my day shirt underneath. I didn't feel comfortable enough to take it off, and in hindsight, I probably didn't have enough time to properly take it off anyway.

"Does being tired make you jumpy?" Ed asked, slipping into the small bedroom and sitting down. I couldn't see him at all really, just seeing his general outline. "Likely. I'm hoping I didn't pass that on though," I whispered, shaking my head as I went and sat down next to Ed. I missed my kids, I'm not even sure Mary would get the goodbye letter in the shed, or if she would tell the kids. They were young, what would they think of their father just disappearing?

"Hey, I'm one to know that you don't need those worries before bed," Ed assured me, though I knew he was right. I nodded, flopping onto the bed and slowly scooching up a bit to sleep next to the window. "Thank you," I murmured, getting under the blanket to stay warm. The September air outside had been chill at night, but it seemed that Ed didn't mind. "You're tired, it's likely not a good idea to dwell on a lot of things," Ed assured me once again, getting comfortable beside me, though I immediately felt his body heat as he got underneath the covers.

It was weird to feel another person's body heat, I had only experienced it once, and it was with a woman beside me. His arm would brush against mine when he occasionally moved it to get comfortable, but it was so foreign. His skin was tougher, less soft, barely comparable though to the lesser amounts that I had probably had my bare arm touch Mary's. It was strange, but as Ed had mentioned, it was probably a good idea to not dwell on much when I was tired. But even then, as I thought, Mary never even got close to me when we slept. Granted, the bed on the ship was likely smaller than the one we slept in, but it was still a rather welcomed feeling as I drifted into sleep with the waves rocking the ship and Ed's body heat warming me up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Morning came, I had just sat there in bed, my eyes slowly blinking as I started to wake up. I had ended up on the outer part of the bed, something I will never question since there was no correct answer that would come to either of us. I looked over at Ed, seeing him curled up against the window and he looked rather comfortable as he slept. It reminded me of when Alma and Edward were younger, finding it coincidental that my son and co-captain had the same name. The two would sleep curled up with their knees almost being hugged to their chests. Even when they were just born.

A door opened and footsteps approached, I closed my eyes, wanting to seem to be asleep so I could have more time to think before I decided to get dressed. Whoever moved the curtains and stood there for a moment, they had left quietly, probably to not bother either of us. I opened my eyes, sighing before looking over to Ed again. I figured it would likely be proactive to answer to whoever came in, getting out of bed silently so as not to wake Ed. He looked like he needed a bit more sleep.

Getting dressed, which was just putting on pants, taking off the gown, and dawning my shoes again, I got out of the cabin and proceeded to the deck to see if there was anything I needed to oversee or if anyone needed my help. Doubtful, but whoever came in likely needed to tell me or Ed something. I took in the smell of the sea, taking a deep breath as I looked at the mostly clear skies. I gazed upon the hardworking crew, smiling and nodding my head. Day #1.