Chapter 13: Sunsets and Stability

They arrived at Balancetale. (Again, tell me if there is an AU named this already)

"Ink, how did you make it so pretty?"

"Are you insulting my creativity? I'll have you know-"

And Ink rambled on, Science groaning along the way.

"I regret ever asking that question," he mumbled.

Balancetale was one of the best, according to Ink. The setting sun, glowing with warm light, went down at a slow pace. A lone tree sat on a flat hill, a little flower bush in front of it. White flowers blossomed on the bush, emitting a smell like a coconut with vanilla.

Head turning up, Dream took a peek at his surroundings. His SOUL throbbed.

It reminded him of the life he used to have with his brother.

Flashback:

"Nighty, come on! The sunset is here!"

"Coming, Dream!"

The brothers ran out of their cottage and rushed to the grassy plain next to the Tree of Feelings. Dream tripped over a small stone.

'OOF!'

"Ow... that hurt."

Nightmare ran up to his brother and used his magic to heal Dream.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, thank you, brother!"

They lay on the grass, enjoying the multicoloured view. Wisps of orange-tinted clouds floated in the pink sky. Dream pointed at one of them.

"That cloud looks like a rabbit!"

"I think so too. But it looks like a dog more."

They kept squabbling about whether it looked like a rabbit or a dog.

The cloud soon scattered.

Dream thought about how Nightmare had been acting odd lately. He kept lecturing himself and grasping his head like it was in pain. He hoped that Nightmare was okay. He wouldn't know what to do without his brother.

"Brother, will you disappear as the cloud did? You've been acting strange this week..."

Nightmare was surprised. Did Dream know about his 'habits'? But he knew he wouldn't.

Would he?

"No, Dream, I won't."

"Promise?"

"I promise, Dream."

It was a promise he knew he couldn't keep.

Flashback End

He shed a tear once again.

'Will life ever be fair for brother?' he pondered.

He shook his head. He couldn't think about it now. They have an artefact to find!

And so he trekked on.

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎(Me:Sobbing)

Dust aced the landing with a silent thump. All was quiet around him.

Then Horror ruined the silence and fell head-first on the ground.