I. Rotting Teenage Girls

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE.            MADMAX
OCTOBER 29.                                    1984

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

MUSIC SENSATION INDIGO DROPS TOUR

INDIGO OVERDOSES AT AGE SEVENTEEN

POPSTAR INDIGO CANCELS TOUR AFTER TALKS OF DRUG ADDICTION

NEW AMERICAN STAR ALREADY FALLING APART?

The articles got even worse than that.

She wasn't sure how, but the entire world found out about her little incident before the opening night of her biggest tour yet. Her manager, Vinny, thinks it was someone on their team, and so he's been spending the last agonizing week trying to figure out who it was and get them the hell out of her life. She, on the other hand, didn't care. She wanted to get the hell out of the hospital and get the hell home.

It was cocaine. The candy that burns your nose and leaves you feeling like you're on top of the world. Until it doesn't. Until you crash and burn into the pit of despair you can't crawl out of until you do the next line. And the next. And the next. And the next.

Until you wake up in a hospital bed.

That was what Indigo experienced at the ripe age of seventeen years old. She hadn't been in the music industry for long. Just over two years. And yet, with the plateau of her success and the overbearing weight on her shoulders, she seemed to have gone through the biggest scandal of her entire life. Drugs.

When she came to, it was the first time in a while Indigo had really looked at herself. She was thinner and paler, and she had bags under her eyes from the lack of sleep. Her eyes were their typical blood-shot color and she looked like a walking corpse. Her hair wasn't as well-kept as it used to be, and her eyes barely held their color to them anymore. She didn't look like herself anymore. She couldn't recognize the person staring back at her.

She stayed in the hospital for a while. Mainly to get everything out of her system and do a brief in-patient, as demanded by Vinny. It was her own personal rehab with the best rehab therapists hired. Indigo obliged to everything. Not only because she had to, but because she wanted to. That September night had been the worst night of her life. The scariest night. And yet, she felt like it hadn't even happened.

The airport was a mess. Vinny held the petite blond close to him as they pushed through the paparazzi at every angle. Vinny's assistant and her security guard were in front, shoving cameras away. Her hair was up in a bun, thick black sunglasses, and all she wore were jeans and an old shirt. She didn't look like herself. The glamourous blond bombshell who worked alongside the biggest stars; Madonna, Duran Duran, and Lita Ford. The superstar who was putting her name in big letters at some of the bigger venues in each state. She didn't look like Indigo.