IX. Eaten Or Rotten

CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE.                  Dig Dug
NOVEMBER 3.    1984

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

CLAUDIA HENDERSON SPED OUT OF HER PARKING LOT. Vinny Monroe was looking for Indigo, but Claudia had to head across town to search for her now missing cat, Mews. If she had waited just a moment in the midst of her hysteria, maybe she would've noticed her teenage daughter creeping around the house.

     Indigo Henderson probably looked how she felt. She'd walked rather far (across town, actually) in the forest as soon as she left early this morning. Eddie would've driven her, but it would have been too much of a commotion. So, she walked for far too long to get back to her home for a bag of clothes and some toiletries. She'd grab what she'd need, and rush back to Eddie's where she'd hide for a bit longer.

     She could go home, and stay. She sometimes thought she should. But the glare in Dustin's eyes, the anger as he spat at her. He hated his sister. And it was all her fault. Indigo should've stayed gone. Maybe then things would be easier for her family. Maybe it's not too late.

     She pushed open her window slowly. Claudia had cleaned up most of the shattered glass. Everything else was as Indigo left it. Destroyed clothes, tossed around memorabilia, and the small blood stain on the window sill. They all stared back at Indigo. It was as if everything knew she'd come back sooner rather than later. Coming as she left. What a shocker.

     She pushed her body upward, grunting in discomfort as her bruised and bandaged knees push against the side of the house. Her bruised knuckles scrape against the sill as she pulled her legs over. Eddie's sweatpants were now lightly stained from dirt and now crawling through a window.

     Indigo's boots landed with a harsh thump, causing another sound in the room. The blond looked around, sighing as she tried to think of what she'd need. A fresh change of clothes (she showered at Eddie's, already), a bag for her things, shoes, toiletries, maybe an extra blanket, and her music journal if she could find it. Indigo grabbed the big bag that sat under her vanity, pulling it open.

     She quickly changed. Nobody was home, she thought. Vinny's car was gone, Red was either with him or out of town, Claudia had left, and surely Dustin was either with her or with one of his friends. Surely, it was just her and Mews.

      She put on jeans (that were definitely a size too big) that she had she had ripped at the knees. She could see her bruised bandaged knees. She picked up a shirt on the floor. Fleetwood Mac American Tour '77 shirt. Her mom went to that tour. The shirt was one Claudia bought Indigo who was much younger at the time. When Indigo got the shirt, it was a little too big. Now, it was a little too small.