PROLOGUE

OLD SUMMER TRILOGY

#1: An Old Summer Daydream

#2: Letters of Past Summer Nights

#3: After Summer 64

DISCLAIMER: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

***

"Did you hear our conversation?"

I looked at Lyonelle with anger in my eyes. When he failed to answer, I turned my back on him and started walking back inside the building. 

I felt so many emotions after the conversation with my mother... and it didn't help to know that this guy heard everything.

Why?

Why did it have to be him? 

"Ice... I didn't mean-"

"Leave me alone!" I yelled while walking to the ice skating rink. 

I went straight to the bench to get my things. Pinagsasalpak ko na lang lahat ng 'yon sa bag. Then, I got my ice skating shoes, tied them together, and then put them inside another bag. Lyonelle didn't know what to say as he watched me on the verge of tears. 

"Why are you still here?" I said under my gritted teeth. 

I stopped fixing my things when I suddenly just felt weak. I bit my lower lip and looked down. I was so tired. My hands won't move anymore.

I didn't have the energy to fight him anymore. 

"Why can't you just..." I whispered, trying to stop my tears from falling. 

No. 

I cannot cry. I had been enduring everything without crying.

I handled all the pressure about winning for years. 

Why would I cry now? 

"Why can't you just leave me alone?" 

I managed to say that with a clear voice. Napapikit ako at napaupo sa bench. I covered my face and put my elbows on my knees. I was still trying to control my emotions. It was the first time I felt something foreign. 

Embarrassed. I was embarrassed because he heard everything my mom told me. 

Why? I would not get embarrassed if it were another person.

"Why do you have to win?" he suddenly asked after a long silence. He was still in front of me, wearing his track jacket. Kagagaling lang din niya sa training. He was training for the swimming competition.

"Why do you have to ask?" 

Tinanggal ko ang mga kamay ko sa mukha ko at tiningnan ang ice skating rink sa harapan ko. I was wearing a black fitted jacket and a black high-waisted yoga pants. I still had my gloves on kaya tinanggal ko iyon at nilagay sa bag.

"I don't think it's winning that matters the most."

"You know nothing," I hissed. 

I hated hearing the words he was spouting... because it was unfair.