13

"Do you love what you're doing, Icelle?"

Natigilan ako sa pagpupunas ng pawis ko nang marinig ang tanong ni Coach Avi. I put the towel down and looked at her with shock. I didn't know what to say. 

"What..." 

"Figure skating. Do you love doing this?" 

Why was she asking me that question on a random Saturday? Did I mess up? Did I do something? 

"I do..." I whispered like I was programmed to answer that. If I didn't love figure skating, then how else could I survive? I needed to love figure skating. If I hated it, I would have already given up on everything. I would just suffer more. 

"Then... Make me feel it, Ice." She crossed her arms over her chest. She was being a strict coach because the final rounds to determine who would qualify for the Nationals were nearing. "You're great. You're a really great skater. You've mastered the choreography. You've been doing your jumps well... but something is missing here." She pointed at her chest. "And the audience can see that, believe me." 

"What do you mean, Coach?" 

"You perform like you are forced to perform. You look like you do not know why you're doing this sport. It's like you don't have any motivation to continue. Something changed over the summer... and I couldn't help but notice that. You've been... so lonely lately. Maybe it's time to take a break from training until you start to find your motivation again."

"Coach, no-" I stood up, ready to argue, but she just put up her hand to stop me. 

"I'll give you a week. Take a break. Rest, Ice. You need to sort out things in here..." She pointed at her head. "...and in here." Then she pointed at her heart. It was like she knew everything that was going on with me. 

I was left there, thinking, after Coach went home. I was just staring at the rink, wondering if it was that obvious... that I was lonely... that I was missing him... that I had been longing for him. 

What even changed? I had always been like this. Bumalik lang ako sa kung paano ako bago kami magkakilala ni Lyonelle. What could even change? Was it because I finally got a taste of happiness? Halata na ba sa mukha ko? Sa performance ko? 

Mom wouldn't be happy with this. 

A break, huh... Could I even afford a break right now? I was using my training schedule to distract myself from missing him. Ano na ang gagawin ko ngayon? Palagi ko lang siyang iisipin. 

Oh, right... The modeling gig from Alia. Kinuha ko ang phone ko para tanungin kung anong oras kami bukas dahil may fitting kami. The next day, I told my Mom that I was going to do some school activity. I went to the campus because Alia rented out their club room again for the fitting. 

As soon as I arrived, I saw Alia sitting on top of the table and Seven standing in front of her with his hands on her sides to trap her. They were... flirting. When Alia saw me, she immediately pushed him away and jumped down the table, conscious. Hah... I felt something bitter on my tongue. 

"Ice! Nandito ka na pala!" nahihiyang sabi niya. "Uh... Si Seven pala... Replacement ni Lai. Uh, magkakilala na kayo. So... Uhm... Let's start!" Namumula ang pisngi niya dahil nakita ko sila ni Seven. 

Alia already made some samples. Ako muna ang sinukatan niya. She was all over the place, putting pins and marking the clothing. She looked so focused while Seven switched between staring at her and typing on his phone. 

"What now, Lai?" I flinched when I heard his name. Napatingin ako kay Seven na kausap si Lyonelle sa phone. 

Seven looked at me too for a second before looking away, hiding his laugh. Huh? Did he just laugh at my reaction?