03

"Try to relax, Icelle. You can do this."

It was a small figure skating competition where Coach Avi listed me to compete. She said it would be a great start for me to get back on my competitive spirit. Kailangan kong masanay ulit sa competitions, and this could be an opportunity to get more awards while waiting for Nationals and other competitions abroad. 

It was just a small event, and all I would probably get was recognition, but I still joined for the experience. I just had to get back to the game. May ibang competitions pa akong sasalihan. My biggest goal was to compete in the Grand Prix Final and win. In order to do that, I had to go through a lot of competitions first.

Puro mas bata sa akin ang kalaban ko. Napapailing na lang ako dahil parang out of place ako roon. I was not nervous so I wasn't sure while Coach was telling me to relax. Parang siya nga ang kabado. It was just a small competition that looked like it was only held for fun. 

"Oh, Icelle, there are people who want to see you. They're from the Skating Union," sabi sa akin ni Coach.

Sinundan ko lang siya hanggang sa may binebeso na siya. She was talking to two people while smiling and laughing. Of course, they were close. Coach represented the country a lot of times. It wasn't like they didn't know me. I did so well when I was young. I won a lot of competitions internationally. I lost the Nationals because I took a break for months. I had an ankle injury, so I couldn't train well for it. 

"Icelle! Nice to see you competing again!" the woman gave me a friendly hug. "When Avrielle mentioned you, I was so happy. Sayang 'yong Nationals last time, right? But don't worry, I know you will do well! You're one of the best figure skaters we have!" 

"Thank you po," I said. "I promise to do well this season. I don't want to disappoint my coach." 

"I'm just so glad you recovered fast from your injury last time. Figure skating is really not an easy sport, so be careful, ah," the other woman told me. "You'll be competing more this season. Alagaan mo ang katawan mo. We want to see the young Icelle again, but better!" 

"I will do my best." I smiled a bit. I really made a name when I was young. I just took a break to focus on college entrance exams and my last year in Senior High School, so nawala ako saglit, and then I went back on track again two years ago. Education was still very important to my Dad, so my Mom couldn't do anything about it. 

"Are you still in touch with Saph? She's in Canada right now for her training," sabi noong isa. 

The smile on my face faded upon hearing her name. Sapphire. 

The woman who won the Nationals last time. The woman... who I thought was my friend but became the cause of my downfall. It was really hard to compete with a friend. The competitive spirit consumed her. I should be the one at her place right now. 

I told my mom I messed up... but a lot of things happened. I just didn't want to remember it again. 

"Oh, Icelle, it's starting," Coach reminded me about the competition. 

I was the second to perform, so I went back immediately to stand by. The first performer did not make an impact, but I should not judge. Iba-iba naman ng perspective ang tao. When it was already my turn, I went inside the rink and positioned myself at the center. There were a lot of people watching since the rink was inside a mall. Kahit 'yong mga hindi naman alam kung ano 'yong event, they still watched. It didn't make me nervous. I just focused on what I had to do. 

I made excellent jumps one wouldn't see in a small competition. I did not mess up, but that was because I didn't try a triple axel. I played safe. 

I finished my performance panting. I heard people clapping as I exited the rink. Coach immediately complimented my performance, and I saw some skaters looking at me in awe.