08

"Are you ready?"

I was just standing at the edge of the pool, scared to go in. I had just finished my training for the day, so it was time for me to learn how to swim. I told my Mom my training hours were extended, but it was only because my swimming lessons with Lyonelle were scheduled after my training and his training.

He was wearing nothing but his swimming trunks. He was already in the water, extending his hand. May hawak pa siyang kickboard para sa akin. 

"Come on, don't be scared. I'm here," he assured me. I was wearing a rashguard and a pair of black swimming shorts. My hair was in a ponytail so it wouldn't get in the way. May goggles pa akong nasa noo ko. 

"It's too deep," sabi ko nang umatras ulit. I was so scared of drowning again. 

"It's not deep. We're not in the other pool... and don't worry, I'll hold you." Hindi niya pa rin binababa ang kamay niya.

I sat down at the edge and then slowly made myself fall down the water. Lyonelle immediately caught my waist. I started panicking because my feet could not touch the ground. It was so scary.

"Don't let me go," I said, holding onto his shoulders. "I'll drown." 

"You can put your feet down," natatawang sabi niya. 

Oh... I tried to stand up straight and my feet touched the ground. I was just bending my legs earlier. 

"Okay, first, I'll teach you some breathing techniques since you're a beginner. Put your goggles on."

He started teaching me how to make bubbles below the water, how to breathe, how to avoid getting water in my nose, all those stuff I already knew. Next, he made me try holding onto the kickboard and told me to kick my feet. He was holding the other edge of the kickboard, guiding me so we wouldn't go too far away.

The kickboard was my savior. I was holding it like I was holding onto my dear life. Swimming was just too scary. 

"You're doing great," sabi ni Lyonelle habang umaatras-atras sa bawat abante ko. "Okay, now try it without the kick board."

"Too fast! I just learned how to move in the water!" reklamo ko.

"I have a stubborn student." Napailing siya. 

We did more lessons using the kickboard until he called it a day because I looked tired from my training. He was right. My legs were already hurting, too. I had been using them the whole day. 

"How did you learn how to swim?" I asked when we sat down at the edge of the pool. He left for a moment, and then I felt a towel on my shoulders. 

"My dad enrolled me in swimming lessons because it's a survival skill," sabi niya. He offered his hand to help me up. 

When I stood up, I went to the bench to get my clothes. He followed me from behind, drying up his hair using his own towel. I could never get used to seeing him wear nothing but his swimming trunks. I didn't know where to look. I knew he would tease me if he caught me glancing at his body, even for only a second. 

"Have you always loved swimming?" I asked again.

"It feels nice that you're finally curious about my life." He flashed a teasing smile.

Napairap ako. "Nevermind. Just don't answer." 

He laughed and crossed his arms over his chest. I caught his muscles flexing when he did that, so I quickly looked away. Ugh, I didn't want him to think that I was checking him out. Yayabang na 'yan lalo.