A Victor's First Day Back

WARNING!!!! CONTAINS DIVERGENT SPOILERS

We walked into school together, and there were still multiple students flooding the hallways and filling the silence with chatter, no doubt they were talking about Cato and I.

     So many waved to me, smiled and chattered when I acknowledged them. Even the teachers were standing outside of the classrooms and lining the halls.

     I couldn't believe all of these people liked me and noticed me! Granted, it was purely for popularity, but it still does feel good to get recognized. Oh yeah, and then there's Cato as well. Always sharing the spotlight with me. 

    Callie, what are you even thinking about? The popularity is already getting to your head! Just shut up.

     So I did my best to control myself.

     "So, is there anything specific you would like to talk about?" Darrin asked. And immediately knew that he was trying to be sensitive to me. I appreciate it. I really do.  "I would just like to start off by saying, I absolutely loved how you played the games! You had a perfect mixture of District Two, and your personality. I loved everything about what you did, and it kept you alive. You are perfect, Callista."

     "You really think so? I was worried you thought I was-"

     "Oh no of course not! You did the best you could, and I have no place to judge that."

     "That gives me a lot of reassurance. Thank you, Darrin."

     "Hey, that's what friends are for! And you were sooooooo funny!"

     "Damn, thanks!"

     "And on day three when you-" He stopped himself. I wondered why, but then realized he was looking me straight in the eye.

     I looked at my reflection in a locker, and realized I looked half about to cry half about to scream, and half constipated. And yes, I know that math doesn't add up.

     I fixed my face and turned back to him.

     "I-I'm so sorry, I should have been more considerate of this topic. I promise to not bring it up."

     "It's fine Darrin. What's the number of our first class?"

    "2732."

     "Okay then let's go."

     "Welcome class! I think we should all give a very warm welcome to the star of our class! Callie! Congrats and great job! You and Cato were both amazing out there. And we are so glad to have you back."

     I blushed, very embarrassed about this attention.

     Everyone clapped and cheered, and the teacher continued.

     "Alright kids, I want everyone to get out their grammar and spelling books, and turn to page thirty-"

     Frustrated groans filled the class.

     "Oh come on!" Matthew Leonela protested. He's quite popular in our grade. "We've just got our Victor back! Do you think she  would want to come back to this? We should be doing something more considerate toward her. Don't you think?"

     Murmurs of agreement flooded the classroom, and many heads turned to me for approval.

     "I don't know," Ms. Ryan said. "What do you think, Callie?"