Chapter 19:

Deuce tossed and turned in his bed that night. His mind had been muddled with thoughts of you once again, preventing him from the precious sleep he craved. His eyes felt sunken into his skull. He desperately needed sleep. His body stayed buzzing at a constant level, and he feared the only way to fix it was to have you laying against him. He only wanted it once, and then he was sure he'd get some decent rest.

He pulled up a picture of you on his phone and smiled. Your beauty never ceased to amaze him. He had been waiting and waiting for this simple crush to pass, but he was beginning to think the feelings were permanent.

Deuce swiped over to the next photo. In this one, you had been leaned over to look in your mini fridge for another soda. He chuckled as he remembered your sweet tooth. He swiped to one of you eating a cookie. Then to one of you dancing.

He had so many pictures of you that his storage was filled to the brink with them. But in his defense, you were worth every photo. Every single picture held a deeper and more home-like feeling, and he never wanted to loose them.

Deuce felt his body relax at the pictures, every bit of tension leaving his body when his eyes met yours. Sure, it wasn't the real thing, but he still loved every bit of what you did to him.

He sat his phone to the side and rolled over, finally comfortable enough to go to sleep for the night. He allowed his eyes to roll into the back of his head, the comfort and warmth taking over his body. He felt stuck, but he didn't want to ruin the sleep he so rarely got.

***

Deuce walked down the street the following week. He was walking you to school, just without you knowing. He grinned as you took a sip of your morning coffee, which he knew you got from Witches Brew every morning. You were so simple, yet he loved every bit of it.

Eventually the school came into view, and he broke off to the side before anyone else could see. He didn't want people to know he was watching you, he only wanted you to know. You stepped up the staircase and entered the building, and Deuce smiled widely as you disappeared behind a wall.

Deuce then entered the school behind you. He followed you through every twist and turn and the frequent stops for conversations. He followed you through the cafeteria and to the right hallway. Then, he followed you to your classroom. You entered the room, and Deuce watched from across the hall as you found your assigned seat and turned to a girl beside you. You greeted her sweetly and took out your notebooks and pens.

You sat still at your desk, watching Deuce from the corner of your eye. It sent a chill down your spine to know he even followed you to class. Ever since finding out, you've become more cautious and aware of your surroundings. You knew he was watching. He was always watching. This time, you were just lucky enough to be able to see him.

You turned to the girl beside you and giggled. "I hope we don't have a ton of homework."

"Me too." She sighed.

You left the conversation at that, getting the hint that maybe she didn't want to talk. You sighed and looked around the room. You searched for anything to take your mind off of Deuce, who still stood across the hall with his eyes set on you.

"Can I ask you a question?" The girl spoke up.

"Mhm!" You turned to face her.

"Does Deuce normally follow you around?"

Your eyes lit up. "You-You noticed?!"

She nodded. "Everyone has. We can't tell if you're a thing or what."

"Um, no." You gagged. "I couldn't be with him. He gives me the creeps!"

"Why don't you go to the guidance counselor?"

"Y'know what?" You thought for a second. "I should."

The conversation ended quickly after, and you settled in your seat knowing that everyone now knew of Deuces ongoing game of cat and mouse.

The class went by normally, and before you knew it it was time to go to yours and Deuces shared class. You entered the room and watched Deuce from the corner of your eye.

As soon as you entered, he sat upright and looked at the floor, his arms falling to his lap immediately. You ignored him and made your way to your seat.

Deuce turned to face you, not caring if it was obvious or not.

"You know, there's a rumor that we're together." He chuckled. "Wouldn't that be nice?"

"No." You spat. "And if you don't stop following me, I'm going to go to the guidance counselor."

"Oh, what a shame." He joked.

"I'm serious." You glared.

Deuce let out another chuckle. "That's fine. Just remember what I told you."

You inhaled sharply and stood. Then, you walked towards the door.

"Hey, tell the counselor I said what's up." Deuce called out.

"I'm going home, not to the counselor." You said, and you left directly after.

You stopped through the schools halls before spotting Jackson by a water fountain. You walked up to him and grabbed him by his sleeve.

"We need to go." You said. "Let's just leave."

"What?" He asked. "Why?"

"I'll explain on the way home, come on."

Jackson followed, no question about the decision to leave.

"Where should we go?" He asked.

"Your house." You replied. "Mine isn't safe."