Unwanted visitors

Max was the first one who woke up. She woke up because of the food and coffee smell. She opened her eyes and saw that she was still on the couch in the living room and Mike was still sleeping on her, like a baby. He was adorable. But if he drooled on her she would kill him. She couldn't be happier that Mike was skin and bones, because he was not squishing her. Careful to not woke Mike, she extracted from under him and walked into the kitchen rubbing her eyes. 

"Morning Red", she heard Steve and Max hummed as he poured herself some coffee, without bothering to ask. "I'm not saying that I'm not glad to see you. But why are you here Max? Especially after what you and the others said to Mike that night"Steve asked and Max could see that he was still disappointed by their words.

"Don't get your panties in your twist mommy. I didn't hurt your baby if that's what you're talking about"She said and earned her a slap on the end with the spatula.

"It's not what I meant and you know that. And stop drinking coffee. You are too young for this"Steve said and he was about to snatch the cup from the girl but Max was faster and she moved away. He tried a few more times but the girl evaded him, so he gave up with a sigh. Not to self. When she visits again, hide all the coffee. 

"To answer your question. I meet with Mike yesterday. We were both on our way to the arcade. That's when I saw him with his mom"Max's eyes narrowed dangerously and her hold on the cup tightened. "That bitch had the audacity to talk with Mike like a worried parent before slapping him and trying to drag him somewhere against his will. I stopped her of course" She avoided telling Steve that he threatened her too because he would go crazy. Steve was happy to hear that Mike find the strength to leave the house after all these days. Only for this to be ruined by his mother. "And then we've come here and I apologized to him, by the way. And then he told me what happened. With his parents and Will"

"I'm glad that Mike had the courage to finally tell one of his friends what happened. I trust that you don't have anything against it. Right?"

"Against his parents being abusive. Oh yes. I have. I was very close to going and killing them last night. Of Mike being gay. No problem. Love is love"

"I'm happy to hear that Max," Steve said as he hugged the girl. Max huffed but she hugged Steve tightly back. "And by the way. It's called bisexual. He's attracted to both girls and boys"

"Well still don't care. It's his life and he's the one who got to choose who he loves. Being boys or girls or both."

"Are you two talking about me behind my back?"Max and Steve turned to face Mike who walked into the kitchen trying to tame his curls with his hands. 

"Sleeping beauty finally awakes, "Max said with a chuckle and Mike rolled his eyes.

Both kids sat down at the table as they waited for Steve to feed them. Max still had her coffee and Mike had some juice. He wrinkled his nose every time he saw Max taking a sip from the coffee and he wonders how she likes to drink it. He had tried once before his life had been ruined, and he had to spit it out immediately.

"Are you coming to school today?"Max asked after Steve gave them the food.

"I.." Mike was hesitant. Despite Max's assurance that his friends and Will don't hate him and they are all sorry for what they said and did, he was still hesitant to face them. Especially Will. The atmosphere between them would be awkward because none of them would know what to say. Steve saw Mike's hesitancy and as if sensing his thoughts he said. 

"Nah. Let him miss school the whole week. I mean. It's Friday anyway. He would return from Monday"  Friday. Today was Friday. It's been a week since he had come to live with Steve because of his asshole family. Max accepted the answer and after finishing breakfast she stood up to leave. Steve offered to take her home. But Max refused saying that she has her skateboard and she would skate home and would make Eddie to drive her to school. After Max had left Steve turned his attention to Mike who poke at his food. "So. What if today I call in sick and spent some time together? Maybe go and buy some paint and paint your room what color you want and get some decorations to make it more homey"