Chapter XXXI

I got up and ran as fast as my legs would take me. I hadn't realized how far from home I was, so I was overjoyed I had my memory back. My heart was pounding out of my chest, and I thought I was going to pass out from anticipation, anxiety, grief, and happiness.

The clouds had also hidden the fact that evening was falling. It started to get dark, and I knew the boys were worried about me. I mean, there had been a tornado, after all. I didn't see a ton of damage—direct damage, I mean. Of course, several trees had fallen, a few windows had broken, and there was some minor damage. I just mean that the tornado didn't rip a path through my neighborhood.

By the time I got to the DX, the adrenaline had worn off, and I was ready to pass out. Soda and Steve weren't there, of course, but there was a phone. I figured I could call Steve or Darry to come get me. It was open 24/7, after all.

I walked in and went straight for the pay phone but realized I didn't have any money. I looked around on the ground to find some change, but the guy at the counter interrupted my search. "It's no use, kid. The storm knocked out the phone lines."

My heart sank. I'd have to walk the streets of the east side all by myself, in the dark. There wasn't much more danger I could be putting myself in. I finally had my memory back—I couldn't lose it now. Still, I decided to walk the rest of the way. Actually, I decided to run home. Less time on the streets meant I was less likely to be jumped.

I bolted out the door and down the street, ignoring the flaming exhaustion in my legs. It was almost pitch black outside—the power was out, and the light from the moon and stars was blocked by the clouds. After several wrong turns and what felt like an hour of painful running, I found it—the Curtis house.

Tears of relief and gratitude started to fall from my eyes as I ran toward the door, I nearly flung it open, but decided to be quiet, in case anyone was trying to sleep. The whole gang, or at least, what was left of it, was probably there.

I entered to find everyone asleep on the couches and floor. Steve groggily lifted his head. "Penny?" he whispered coarsely.

I nodded. "Yes, but be quiet—"

"You guys, Penny's okay!" he shouted, ignoring my plea.

They all shot up immediately, and swarmed me with hugs, questions, and high-fives. But, the exhaustion was catching up to me. I yawned and collapsed onto the couch, nearly asleep before I even made contact with it.

Steve sat in front of the couch. "What happened out there?"

I yawned again. "I got lost—I couldn't remember how to get back to the neighborhood... I do now..."

I woke up to the smell of chocolate cake and the sound of a ringing telephone. I felt groggy and tired, and I had a massive headache. I didn't move from where I was on the couch, and I didn't open my eyes, either. If I was still at the Curtis house—which, judging by the smell of chocolate cake, I probably was—it was awfully quiet.

I heard footsteps, and someone picked up the phone. "Hello, this is Darrel Curtis... no, he's not here. He's playing football with the others... yes, she's here. She's asleep, though... it's alright. I'm sure she'll understand... oh, that's great! She'll be happy to hear... more news?" He paused again. "Alright... there'll be a lot to fill you in on... it was the worst time for you to be gone... in a couple hours? Okay... I'll tell her... thanks, Mrs. Randle."

My mother finally called? I nearly opened my eyes and sat up, so I could find out what my mother had finally called about, but I had a beastly headache. I didn't, though. Not for a few moments, at least. When I finally did, my head starting pounding more than ever.

"Is it possible to get a hangover from adrenaline?" I groaned.

Darry laughed. "Probably." There was a brief silence. "Steve and the others are playing football, and your parents are, uh... coming back in a few hours."

I was silent for a moment, trying to decide what to say. "Darry, you've been like a brother to me, especially since my real ones left. Can I confide in you?"

"Of course. You can tell me anything."

"I think I've encountered something that's worse than not remembering anything."

"Yeah?"

"Remembering everything."

"...you remember?"

I nodded, but tears started filling my eyes and running down my face. "I remember it all, and it hurts so bad," I quietly cried.

Darry wrapped his arms around me and didn't say anything for the longest time. Eventually, he had something to say. "So, you should probably get ready for the reunion."

"Reunion?"

"Sure thing. Your parents are overjoyed on their end, and I had to pull a few strings around here, but..."

I eyed him warily, but got up to leave. "Alright..."

I walked home briskly, and took a look in the mirror. I looked dreadful! I hadn't done my hair or makeup in ages, and frankly, I looked like I'd rolled out of bed after a week. I brushed my extremely tangled hair, curled it, and pinned up. I put on just a little makeup, but ultimately decided my hair looked too professional, so I unpinned it and let it cascade down my back in soft curls.

I slipped into my soft yellow dress—the dress I had worn the day I was supposed to be engaged—and tied a small, yellow ribbon in my hair. I was suddenly interrupted by a knock at the back door.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Author's note
I shall refrain from saying what I'm going to say. Just know that I procrastinated on my homework way too much for this

Your friendly neighborhood greaser, signing off...
Stay gold y'all ⭐️