Prologue

The engines were all at tidmouth sheds for the night. All were tired from the long day of work. All the engines were home except one. "Where's Henry?" Edward asked. " I'm not sure, he should be coming back home soon, perhaps he's just running late?" Emily suggested. "I saw him earlier today, he was puffing somewhere in a hurry" Gordon said. " what if something happened to him?" Percy asked nervously. " oh don't be so worried Percy, he's a big engine, maybe not as strong as me but he is capable of taking care of himself" Gordon said laughing at the frightened small green engines question.

Suddenly a whistle was heard. Henry puffed up fast on to the turn table. He looked frightened. "I heard it! The whistle! The whistle! He's real!" Henry said with a genuine panic. "What? What ever is the matter Henry?" Edward asked concerned. "And why are you so late!?" Gordon asked. "What whistle?" James question. Henry puffed into his shed. "Have you not heard of the story of the engine in the woods? He's real!" Henry exclaimed. "Engine in the woods? What engine?" Thomas questioned. "Henry, that story isn't real it's just a scary story to scare everyone" Emily said. "But it is real! I heard him!" Henry exclaimed. "Of course  you would believe in such stories, I know they aren't real" Gordon remarked proudly. "Most stories aren't real but this one is!" Henry exclaimed desperate for them to believe him. "What story!?" Thomas, Percy, and James asked unaware of what they were speaking about. "sorry you three, Henry is talking about a creepy story about some engine, it isn't real" Edward reassured them. "Well tell us the story!" Thomas demand. "We would like to know"  Percy asked. " I'll tell you it, but I'm telling you all it's true!" Henry exclaimed, Gordon rolled his eyes.

" I was told of a story about a mysterious engine In the woods not far from here" Henry began. Thomas and Percy listened with interest. James guessed it was just another ghost story but still listened. The other engines knew of the story and though they didn't believe it still listened, except for Gordon who could care less about it and slept instead.

"A steam engine who hid there waiting for unsuspecting engines to accidentally find him. He hides with on an old unused rail, hidden by branches. They say any engines that accidentally find this engines or out of curiosity never return. When they find him he will appear as a normal engine that by appearance you would never think he'd do anything wrong he'll introduce himself acting friendly, he will try and get close to you, calling you his friend and smiling. He will start to change a little and you will be able to tell." Henry was interrupted by Thomas's laughter. "Hahaha, an engine that looks friendly but really isn't??? That sounds like Gordon! Are you sure this isn't just a story about him?" He asked jokingly. " of course it isn't about him!" Henry grumbled. Emily and James laughed " it does kind of sound accurate " Emily laughed. Gordon just snored through their conversation, making Thomas laugh a little more. " come on you guys, Gordon isn't bad, he's just very proud" Edward said in defence oh his sleeping friend. " didn't he use to pick on you?" Thomas asked. " forgive and forget about that, now let Henry finish his story" Edward sighed annoyed. Henry smiled at Edward as a thank you, he continued on.

" where was I? Oh! He will start by saying he will grant your deepest wishes and desires, trying to lure you into trusting him. On one condition will he grant your wishes, only if you follow him down the train tracks behind him. No one knows what happened to those engines who have followed him, however what they do know is that those engines never returned. They say when you pass the woods at night you will know if the devil's train strikes again. You will hear a loud mysterious whistle, no one knows who it belongs to they only know it means one thing, bad. Remember never trust any engine or humanoid you come across in the woods if you don't know them, you may never return" Henry finished. Percy looked frightened. " an engine that tricks you into being your friend by reaching for what you desire that you can not get so that they can use you for their own benefit?" Percy question. " that reminds me of someone" he said crossly. " it kind of does doesn't?" Thomas backed up Percy knowing exactly who he was thinking of. " well the engine couldn't have been Diesel 10, Henry said it's a steam engine who looks friendly, Diesel 10 isn't friendly looking or a steam engine he's a diesel" Thomas said. " it was definitely a steam engine I heard it on my way here by the woods it was loud and unfamiliar!" Henry exclaimed hoping they would believe him. Edward yawned " Henry it could of been anyones whistle, everything will be fine, let's all just get some sleep and you can talk about it in the morning" he said. " fine" Henry said disappointed Edward didn't believe him. All the engines soon feel asleep.