chapter 3

Thomas took a deep breath recollecting everything that happened on the tracks. The other steam engines waiting to listen. " After Diesel left to continue his search for Diesel 10, I was late to pull my coaches. "yeah... I had to" Percy said. "sorry about that Percy" Thomas smiled apologetically. "Sir Topham Hatt asked me to take your mail cars, so I did, than Spencer came up, he challenged to race me and because I didn't want him to pick on me anymore I accepted. He and I raced for quite a bit and than we got to where his track would go a different way than the one I was on and the one next to me. his track led into a unused track in a forest area. I knew he wouldn't notice it so I didn't say anything because I wanted to win, but when he went through, I came and waited for him to come out because that's what I accepted. It was so quite until suddenly, I heard a scream and than a loud long whistle I have never heard before. I knew right than that must of been what you were talking about Henry because after the whistle stopped I saw two large eye's staring right at me from what looked to be really big!" Thomas finished explaining what he saw.

Edward was in awe, Percy was afraid, and James and Emily looked at one another uncomfortable by what they had just heard. Gordon looked actually concerned. "something happened to Spencer and you waisted your time by talking about that fifthly trouble some diesel's disappearance, Spencer is my cousin and is a very important engine! If he is in trouble I need to help him!" Gordon said furiously. "We can't do anything now Gordon, we need to let Sir Topham hatt know as soon as possible tomorrow" Edward said. "Fine!" Gordon agreed but was still angry and worried for his cousin. the engines had trouble sleeping that nigh. engines on the island....disappearing? a mysterious engine? none of them knew what to think. Thomas fell asleep.

Thomas was in is his humanoid form walking in a dark forest at night, suddenly he heard a stick crack near him, he looked around panicked. everything was black and white there was no color nor was there any grey. he looked in front of him and saw the shape of a large engine that looked mutated and strange . It looked to be a combination of a diesel and a steamie, the expression changing from sad to angry and back to sad. what ever it was, it was in pain and frightening. He felt someone tap his shoulder behind him. he turned and saw a the shape of a humanoid engine he knew. It was Lady but she didn't look her normal self, she looked to have a permeant sad expression. Her eyes were only half oval outlines, no pupils, no iris. she had a very empty sad expression and she said nothing, until things started to shift and change. her voice sounded distorted like the rest of her was becoming and the only words he could understand were "iTs toO lAte...." and the rest he couldn't understand. he wanted to scream but he couldn't make a sound. he turned back around the creature behind him was distorted as well. "save....him...." he heard what sounded like Lady's voice. "save who?!" Thomas asked finally getting words out. The creature had shifted to only one humanoid engine but was still over distorted. His eyes were dark and empty and everything felt scary and wrong. "save him". he kept hearing distortedly. He didn't know who this engine was. suddenly he kept hearing his name called repeatedly, he didn't know where from. He fell to the ground in his dream, Lady and the other thing stood above him, with destroyed looks. They sounded like they were trying to say something but he couldn't understand them. "In danger.......help......to late.....for......" was all he could understand.

Thomas woke abruptly to Edward calling his name. "Thomas wake up, Sir Topham hatt is here!" Edward said. Thomas was still confused and in shock from his dream. "he's awake now sir!" Edward said. "good, now please listen this is bad news, a few engines have gone missing, Spencer, Donald, Douglas, Oliver, Diesel 10 and..." Sir topham paused looking at a lost for words. "no one knows where they are or what happened to them but they must all be found!" he exclaimed. trying to regain himself.

The engines all looked at one another in shock. Gordon looked very upset hearing about the disappearance of Spencer. "Sir.... yesterday, Spencer went down an unused track that wasn't used and he never came back....I heard an unfamiliar whistle after that" Thomas spoke up. "An unused track? But why?" He asked. "He was challenging me to a race, he never came back, I think something is making the engines disappear" Thomas said. "Donald, Douglas, and Oliver are missing?!" Henry was shocked. "I didn't know that! Oh no! What if the Duck is next?" Henry asked worriedly. "Well we can not start panicking now, all of you need to look for each engine, Henry and James you search for Donald and Dougals, Edward and Emily look for Oliver, Gordon and Thomas you two look for Spencer" Sir Topham Hatt ordered. The engine agreed.

Percy puffed with worry, "but sir, what about Diesel 10, the diesels need him!" Percy spoke up. Sir Topham hatt thought for a moment. "Percy, you go find him" he said. "I sure hope Toby is alright," Edward said. "He should be, he has been working on another line as of now, he should be okay" Sir topham hatt answered. "Now go! All of you, we can not waste any more delay!" he commanded.

All the engines began to go and search. Henry and Edward looked for Donald and Douglas on the mainline. Emily and James looked for Oliver in the shunting yards.

"Take me to where Spencer disappeared!" Gordon demanded. "Alright, just follow me!" Thomas answered. He didn't want to have to put up with his demanding tone but he knew that Gordon was being the way he was because he was worried and cared for his cousin,  the Flying Scotsman and Spencer were his only living relatives left.

Thomas led Gordon all the way to where he had stopped racing Spencer. He showed him the unused track. Thomas stopped "this was the place" Thomas said. He was on the same track Spencer was on before he disappeared. "Well don't just stall, go!" Gordon demanded. Thomas puffed slowly ahead, Gordon followed behind looking on all sides. The further they looked the darker the trees made it. Thomas was scared by this place. It looked like the place in his nightmare, only in colour now. His nightmare. He completely forgot about it. who was it he needed to save? What happened to Lady? Why did she look so sad? He wondered to himself. Thomas heard a noise up ahead. "Ugh, this place smells of oil" Gordon complained. "Oil?" Thomas questioned. "Diesel 10 must of been here" Thomas commented. "If he has done anything to Spencer, I will get him scrapped when I find him!" Gordon threatened. "Remember Diesel 10 is missing too, we don't know what happened to him and lower your voice!" Thomas demanded. They puffed a little further. Suddenly he saw something up ahead staring right at them. The same creature he saw yesterday when he peered in here looking for spencer. Gordon saw it too," uh um, Thomas! You keep searching here, Ill go look in the uh other woods'' Gordon said before puffing away as fast as he could. Thomas felt hurt that he just left him alone like that out here to whoever this was.

He was starting to be able to see the engine up ahead. He puffed nervously. He also started to notice it becoming closer. He didn't know if he should run, call for help, or flee as far as he could. He could make a shape of the engine, it was a steam engine. He suddenly started getting flashbacks to his dream. He closed his eyes in fear. afraid that it might be the creature he saw in his dream.

"Hello?" a voice called.