chapter 9

This is a relatively short chapter please forgive me for that.

Edward and Duck took the three engines back to the nearest station. They pulled in and asked for someone to call for Sir Topham Hatt. At the station, they saw Percy and James. The two looked in surprise. “Diesel 10!” Percy called out. “ You're safe!” He sounded relieved. “Thomas has been found as well, thank goodness he didn't disappear!” James said. Percy looked at Thomas. He said nothing but he smiled. “ And They found Donald as well,” Edward chimed in. “ Oh that's wonderful news! But…what about Douglas?” Percy asked. Donald looked uncomfortable. “ He's gone…. No other engine made it” Donald answered quietly and sad. Duck looked extremely sad because of this. “Douglas… is gone?” He echoed. “ Yes .. and I don't know what I'm going to do without him! It was terrible what I saw happen to him! I never ever want to go near those tracks ever again…” Donnie started to cry again. Duck looked terribly upset too. “We must do something about those woods… no other engines should go in there. I can’t stand the thought of losing anymore engines… I hate that,,, I .. why did we have to lose them? Oliver too…. Douglas and Oliver were my friends…”. Duck said out loud. “ aye, and Douglas…. Was my brother…” Donald Said sadly.
All the engines were saddened by the disappearances. Sir Topham Hatt soon drove up with his car. He quickly got out. He looked happy to see Thomas again. “ Thank goodness you're okay. And to you two as wel- oh dear! Edward takes Donald to the steamworks at once for repairs. “Yes of course!” Edward agreed. “Thank you sir….” Donald said. Edward and him puffed away. “Thomas, you aren't injured are you?” The fat controller asked. “ Not really… I'm fine.. just a bit spooked after everything….”  Thomas said. “ Could you please… take Diesel 10 to the dieselworks for any repairs that can happen..” the fat controller had a look of extra worry because of 10’s condition.  Diesel 10 did not say a word. He was facing Thomas' direction and had a blank expression. Thomas felt terrible for what happened to him. “ Of course sir” Thomas said. “ Thank you Thomas, and … please see me later. I want to know everything that happened” Sir Topham Hatt requested. “ Yes, sir….” Thomas said. “Sir, we should block off those woods… or use something to prevent engines from going in” Duck suggested as Thomas grabbed Diesel 10’s hand and led the way. When they got far enough from the station. Thomas turned into his engine form. He told 10 to do the same, and he did. Thomas coupled Diesel and pulled him to the dieselworks. Before they got there, 10 whispered to Thomas. “ Thank you… for saving me, I will never understand why you did… but I’m sorry that I.. got myself in this mess” Diesel 10 apologised. “ don’t apologise Diesel, you know I heard everything you said back at that tree…, he tricked you, you just wanted…. A..friend…” Thomas stared off a bit thinking about that. When they arrived at the Dieselworks. Both of them turned back into their humanoid forms. “Thomas? What the hell are you doing back here?” Diesel asked, looking at him angrily. The other diesels looked at Thomas, they hadn’t noticed 10. “ don’t give him any trouble… it’s me who’s caused trouble” 10 spoke Walking from behind Thomas. There was suddenly a loud gasp. "Diesel 10!?" The diesels looked shocked. "You're back!?" Diesel looked shocked. "And you're alive!" Arry added in surprise. "YOUR EYES!!" Splatter shouted when he saw Diesel 10. "They are gone!" Dodge added. "Yes, yes, I'm alive... but I need... Repairs.. where are Den and Dart?" Diesel 10 asked. "Yea you need repairs! Your eyes are gone!" Splatter yelled in concerned. " We're right here, Diesel 10!" Dart said walking in to the Dieselworks. "Oh dear..... What happened?" Dart asked after seeing him. "I wish not to talk about it, just... Fix the injury in my back and my limbs, nothing you can do about my eyes" Diesel 10 said. " Of course sir" Dart said. "we will be back" Den said. " What he means to say is, we are going to go get our tools, we'll be right back to help" Dart said. Den and Dart left the Dieselworks. "Who did this to you?" Diesel asked, there was tension in his voice. Diesel 10 did not answer, he did not look in Diesel's direction. "Was it that mysterious engine you kept seeing and suddenly disappeared!? do you know how worried we were?" Diesel asked frustrated. " I don't want to talk about it, Diesel" Diesel 10 said, he had more of an anxiousness to his voice rather than anger. "You not telling us anything is exactly how you got yourself in this position, now speak!" Diesel demanded. Diesel 10 growled. " He doesn't owe anything to you, if he's not comfortable talking about it than leave him be. It's understandable why, just look at him, he's exhausted, let the topic rest, when he's ready to tell you guys, he will" Thomas blurted suddenly. Diesel had forgotten he was still there. Diesel wanted to say more but just huffed angrily. " 10, the only reason I'm concerned is because I worry about you, we all do, without you, there is no order" Diesel said. Diesel 10 lowered his head. " I'm not ready to discuss it with everyone yet... It's still much for me to think about myself... Just leave me be with it okay... I appreciate your concern, but it isn't necessary" Diesel 10 said he breathed out, trying to calm down. Diesel opened his mouth to speak before Den and Dart came back. "Alright, we'll try to fix what we can, come with us" Dart said. Diesel 10 faced towards them. Den looked at him sympathetically, he knew that's what everyone was feeling towards him and he hated it. He hated this kind of attention, he hated feeling defeated.. but further down, he had something more upsetting him internally than what happened to himself. Lady's demise.