The Birth of a Sun

First.... a bang... and then.... silence.... a sun had collapsed in on itself... but not in a way you expect. There was something born from this star.... something almost... magical.

50,000 years ago.... he was brought into the universe.... before Celestia was born.... he was what hinged the world into peace and prosperity. He was the one who presented fire to the world's creatures. He was the one who created their languages... he was their guide... he was to lead them down the path of survival. His name.... is Epitaph. He is older than ponykind... or anykind on Earth. But he is not the oldest being.... but he is among the strongest and best. Queen Galaxia thought it would be best if there was a guardian to protect the life if a world she was making. It took Galaxia a long time to make Earth, so for a while Epitaph just walked around in space..... bored.... he was bored.

"Hey, hey, hey!" there was a voice from the void.

Epitaph stopped walking and sighed, strange, he can sigh, but doesn't breathe, "Yes Protos?"

"How's my little bro doing?"

"We're not brothers Protos, we're only creations that were made by the same creators." Epitaph was always cold hearted, even with his lack of a heart, maybe that's why he didn't have emotions.

"That's the definition of a brother Epit."

"Stop calling me Epit... you know my name Protos."

"Why do you have to be such a downer all the time?"

"Because I'm not like you... I wasn't given the same emotions you adore so much... I wasn't given sympathy like you were, I don't have that... understand now?" Epitaph looked at Protos without even turning his head, and when Protos didn't say anything.... he kept walking through space... not really having a destination.

Now you may be wonder, "Mr. Author... how can Epitaph walk in space?" The answer is quite simple really, he's walking on the particles in space called Dark Matter... it surrounds anything and everything.... but only he can interact with it, not even Death can do that.

A few thousand years later... ponykind is finally thriving and growing. Other intelligent species were sprouting out now too. Epitaph doesn't really need to do a lot. He just makes sure that any extinction level events are prevented. He was not allowed to interfere with wars and battles as per Queen Galaxia's orders. King Cosmos wanted Epitaph to be able to, but Galaxia convinced him otherwise stating that, "It wouldn't be fair."

And then... it happened.

"Why do you have to go?!" Protos cried out.

"Our time is done, we are handing it over to our daughters, they can handle it."

"Creator... if I may speak my mind... I don't think that Celestia and Luna are ready yet... they NEED more training from you." Epitaph brought up.

"Oh, little Epitaph... I know how you truly feel, you just don't want us to leave yet." Galaxia touched his cheek, and for the first time ever... there was a tear.... and then another.... and then more until he was a flowing river of sadness. He still held that stoic straight face... but deep down he was breaking down... and the tears only proved that.

"Please................. don't go-" Epitaph looked away.

"It'll be fine... I trust you my little Epitaph. And Protos... don't hate us because we never gave you a true purpose... that is for you to find on your own." And before she could say anything more... Galaxia and Cosmos both faded away in a bright sparkle of light. 

"This.... this isn't fair!" Protos spread his large wings and flew into space.... and he has not yet been seen since.

Epitaph calmly wiped away the tears that faded after a few minutes......... and went right back to his duties as guardian without one single complaint.

"Brothe----"

"Stop it Polloi.... we're not brothers.... we never will be-" Epitaph said coldly to his fellow Hereph, "Forget I even exist."

Polloi shrunk into himself and watched as Epitaph walked away... leaving Polloi all alone.