Prologue

-• coward •-

16 years ago

Scarlett watched the scene unfold in front of her with a fond smile.

The night was dewy, damp and cold. Windows were fogged up and from the glimpse of her tiny little garden outside, the greenery appeared lustrous and beaded with moisture. But the inside of her two storey house felt warm like spring. It must be the first time she found life in those bare four walls.

"Hush, sleep my pup,"

Scarlett tore her eyes off the night outside, the sight in her living room far more endearing than any other. She watched as the man rocked their daughter back and forth in his arms, whispering sweet nothings in her ear, his eyes shining with warmth and love. The smile on his face mirrored hers, just as wide, but on a completely different spectrum of emotions. He was happy, over the moon too, she felt melancholic seeing the same.

"You should go back now," as she said that, the smile on his face dropped and he stopped.

Ignoring the young brunette, he looked back at the puckered lips of their daughter and planted a little peck. The bundle of his overwhelming love responded with a slight stir, her long lashes fluttering before she cozied up back in her father's strong arms, falling asleep in his care.

"Vikram," Scarlett called out desperately, stepping down a stair into the living room.

Vikram stepped back, clutching the piece of his heart protectively in his arms, his eyes glossed over with a sheen layer of tears.

"Vikram, leave," Scarlett stated with a hard tone.

He shook his head.

"Vikram, you promised me!" She reminded harshly.

His eyes pinned hers with a fierce glare. "How can you be so heartless?"

"Heartless?" She scoffed.

"Yes, heartless." He spat out. "She is my daughter too, Scarlett. Don't do this to me. Don't do this to us." He gripped the little bundle to his chest, his eyes narrowed at the corners in plead, brows scrunched together.

Scarlett sighed. "There was never us, Vikram."

"That's because you never let it happen!"

She looked away. "Your mother-"

"She is dead!" Vikram asserted. "She is dead, my love. Let go of her. We can be together-"

"What about your wife?" The young woman looked straight into his eyes.

"She never mattered."

"But for her, you're her whole world." Scarlett emphasized.

"That's not my problem. I never asked for this, Scar! I wanted us. From the moment I met you eighteen years ago, to now, I've always ever wanted you. I've ever only loved you, Scar."

Scarlett let out a troubled breath. "Think about your kids."

Vikram clenched his jaw.