19

-• the inevitable •-

"Are you nuts!?" Janet shrieks, her voice practically ripping through my eardrums.

"What?" I ask innocently.

"Tara, that's the last thing you should be doing! What made you think helping your one brother plan revenge against your another brother will do good to you!?"

"Yuvaan promised to help me win the reward!" I defend my choices. Because after what I did last night, defense is my last shield against all the fears popping up in my head. "And I know he will. Agastya hates me anyway."

She slaps her forehead. "Tara, my life, you're not supposed to be getting into their mess so early in your stay there. You don't have that much of a strong bond with any of them. Why would you take such an extreme risk, Tara? Getting involved in the brotherly feud, when you're new to the family? Very bad choice, Tara. I'm sorry but later when this comes to bite you in the ass, you're going to regret it."

My confidence withers like receding blooms in autumn.

"If this comes out, Agastya will hate me forever, right?" I ask weakly.

"I mean, I would if I was in his place. Just imagine, someone who came a few days ago, teamed up with my own sibling to go against me? It's like you're trying to break the brothers apart to make your own space."

My heart crates to the depth. She just made it sound so cruel.

"But that was not my intention. He did this first. He went and told Yuvraaj about Tarun and I. So what if I try to get even with him?"

"Oh," she murmurs. "Right. I get your point. But are you sure he told Yuvraaj about it?"

"Of course."

"Fine, then. I guess, he asked for it." She shrugs.

I go lax against my pillow. "So you don't think I did wrong?"

"I mean, you're treading on a thin line. I understand where you're coming from, but you've to spend the rest of your life there, Tara. The brothers have been together for so many years, and then there's you, the new chick in all male group. I think, from now on, you should be careful." She advises.

"Agastya would have ruined my chances at winning the reward, Janet. I can't afford it. I've already made things difficult for Tarun. I want to help him before he regrets meeting me."

"I can't ever understand your desperation to feel validated in people's eyes. I mean, you met him like a week ago. Just forget it and move on. So what if he thinks bad of you? How does that affect your life?"

I shake my head at her, offering no justification from my side. She won't understand. I'm new here. I've no memories with any of these people, yet I'm forced to accept them. The last thing I want is to feel unwanted. I can't stand people hating me. Agastya is enough for that, I don't want more. Especially not the guy I became friends with in my first few days here.

"Alright, let bygones be bygones. Tell me about the party? Are you ready for it? You still haven't shown me your dress!" She brings up excitedly.

"I don't have it with me. The designer will bring it tomorrow morning. And I also don't want to be in charge of something so precious. You know it's stitched with threads of gold and silver?"

She gasps.

"My exact reaction!" I point at the screen. "And not just that, it's eight kgs."

"How much is that in pounds?"

"17 something," I reply.

"Oh fuck, your waist is gonna break, and not for a good reason."

"How can there be a good reason behind a broken waist?" I frown.