63

-• the orphanage •-

As I'm being dragged to the car from the death scene, sirens penetrate the constant whispers and murmurs that pollute the air. Arush nudges me in the car, his height blocking my sight. But I get a glimpse of the dead before he slams the door close on my face and taps the hood for my bodyguard to start the car.

The bloodied scene remains in my memory, head burst open, bloodshot eyes staring into the void, lifeless and cold. I feel a shiver lick down my spine. All the horror, action and thriller movies I've watched fell short on preparing me for the grim reality of something like this.

I had a blissful, empty confidence that I've already seen death, so it won't really faze me. But it diminished the moment life showed me the harsh reality. It takes my mind back to the day I first saw Vivaan on the hospital terrace. To think he would have ended up the same as this young girl, cracked open, with twisted limbs and hopeless eyes. I shake my head, driving out the ominous thoughts.

My eyes shift to the rear view mirror and I notice two black Mercedes following us. It must be the twins.

I sigh and look out of the window, wanting to close my eyes against the exhaustion and dimming sky, but afraid to do so. What if I see her?

Honestly, I used to think giving up on life is easier. But when I chose to suffer through my mother's illness even when it was draining me of energy, when I chose to watch her being lowered into the grave knowing I've no family left and I'm now an orphan, was still not enough for me to even think of ending my life.

And that made me realise, giving up is the hardest part of living.

Imagine the helplessness one must feel that pushed them to take that final step forward. We thrive on hope, the hope of a better tomorrow, and despite having nothing to look forward to, I did not lose my hope. Because I trusted myself. I can't imagine what it feels to not believe yourself, believe your perseverance, believe that if you hold on a little longer, maybe one day it'll be in the past.

Was living that hard for her that she chose to die?

What made her think death would end it all?

How much did she suffer? What was eating her at inside? Who cut off her wings? Who made her feel so hopeless that she found hope in death?

I don't even realise we've reached until the bodyguard makes me.

My gaze refocus and I notice the car has stopped. Weird, I've been looking outside window all this time, yet I did not realise we're already home.

"Thank you," I whisper and undo my belt, grabbing my backpack from the backseat before I step out of the car.

He pulls the car off the porch, emptying the spot for the following Mercedes. Arush steps out, and behind him, Ayush's car stops. We three make our way inside the palace together.

"Who was she?" I ask them as we ascend the stairs.

Arush shrugs.

"She was not from our school." Ayush answers.

For some reason, I feel a little relieved. At least it wasn't someone I've seen or possibly talked to before. "Are we not talking about this to anyone?" I ask them.

"Talk about what?" Yuvaan stands at the top of the staircase, his eyes fixed on us, apparent confusion and curiousity shining in them.

I glance at the twins, worried I opened a door than cannot be closed again. They look at me in annoyance, and I lower my head sheepishly.