03 | common interests

SUMMER EDWARDS DIDN'T UNDERSTAND what her eyes were looking at

She just didn't understand. It was only five minutes before her shift at work would officially begin and she couldn't comprehend what she just saw.

A brunette-haired boy with shaggy hair covered by a baseball cap with the company's logo and hazel eyes strolled into the breakroom. Picking her eyes up from her phone, she felt herself blink more than twice as her eyes locked with his. 

Harley Rhodes was standing a distance ahead of her. He was in a work uniform, a black polo shirt tucked into his black jeans. Millions, if not, billions of questions began to flood Summer's brain.

Did Harley work at Shane's Subs?

Obviously he does, dumbass. He's in the breakroom, a staff-only zone, Summer reminded herself. 

Shaking the assumptions of her brain, she cleared her throat as she rose up from her chair, shoving her phone into her back pocket along the way. "You again?"

"Yep," Harley answered simply as he placed his The North Face sports backpack on a shelf. "You seem surprised to see me."

"Of course, I am. I didn't know that you worked here," Summer remarked as she began to strut out of the breakroom. "Never seen you on any of my shifts."

"I don't normally book shifts at this time," the teenage boy shrugged. "But expect to see me around here more often. I have a feeling that you and I will probably end up working together a lot. Since you're new, I can probably show you how things get done here. Think of me as your free guide who shows you all the ropes." 

Summer faintly smiled. "Fine." 

"Sounds like a plan," Harley quipped as he motioned her out of the breakroom to the actual restaurant. "Follow me."

Trailing behind the boy, Summer followed him to the restaurant area where one of her coworkers happily wiped off the tables with an aged cloth and disinfectant spray, AirPods shoved in her ear. What a way to seize the day.

"So I guess you haven't really met your other co-workers since you just got here?" The teenage boy questioned as he adjusted the rim of his hat. "I'll tell you all the secrets about them."

Secrets. They are confidentialities that everyone secretly loves, especially if it's about another person. Gossiping isn't necessarily a good thing, which Summer knew, but there was nothing wrong with getting caught up in the latest tea.

"So," Harley whispered as he began to giggle. "You see that girl with the long red hair in a ponytail?"

"Yeah," Summer said as her voice trailed off. "What about her?"

"That's Veronica," the teenage boy mumbled, as if the girl would hear over the rap music bleeding out of her AirPods. "A few months ago during our closing shift, she invited a boy over and they went into the same bathroom together. Since I was there, she swore to me to not tell our boss or anyone."