06 | yearbooks and photo albums

HARLEY RHODES HAS ALWAYS BEEN a loner

HARLEY RHODES HAS ALWAYS BEEN a loner. An introvert. A huge outsider. Definitely a third wheel. He's never been much of a people person. Heck, he doesn't even have many people inside of his circle.

All he is is a lone wolf.

It was why he spent most of his days inside of his room whenever he wasn't at the gym or at work. It was why he wasn't a guy of many words. But that didn't mean that he was completely friendless. He had someone that he could rely on.

He is Caleb Santana, Harley's friend since sophomore year. Unlike Harley, he's outgoing, extroverted, and fun to be with. He is Puerto Rican, a shaggy-haired brunette with peach skin, and a practical genius. However, they weren't just friends. They were gym buddies that always wanted to have some sort of fun.

"What should we do first today?" Caleb questioned when they were through with identification, giving them access to their local American gym chain, LA Fitness.

"Let's warm up on the bikes," Harley suggested as he pointed to the massive section of fitness bicycles in front of the large windows, which allowed sunlight to flow into the air conditioned fitness center.

Caleb hopped onto one idle bike, while Harley hopped onto the one beside it, tugging off his workout backpack and placing it on the floor beside him. Looking towards his friend, Caleb cleared his throat. "So, what's been going on with you? How's the family? How's your brother? Are you having a hot boy summer?"

"Everything's going okay. My mom and dad are surviving, and Jace's treatments are going well, so I'm relieved," Harley informed as he placed his two feet on the petals before he pushed them. "What about you? Didn't you just come back from your vacation from Florida?"

"Yeah, I came back a week ago. It's hot as fuck down there," Caleb remarked. "But it was fun. It was a nice getaway from this boring ass town, best of all."

"You're so lucky. I have to stay here," Harley mused as he felt his feet glide through the pedals. "My parents really don't have enough money to travel because of Jace's treatments, and I'm flat out broke, but it's okay. I really don't mind. Work is keeping me entertained enough."

"That's real nice of you, man," Caleb smiled as he began to pant from pedaling so much. "But since work is keeping you so entertained, what's been going on?"

The white boy mustered a smile. "I met this really cool girl. She started working at Shane's Subs and moved into my neighborhood. She and I are really good friends."

"Wow, I didn't think that you were the type to talk to someone new. You're always hiding yourself away from everyone else," Caleb reasoned. "But it's nice to see you break out of your shell. You always flirt with girls, anyway. What does she look like?"

"She's black, has a lot of hair, has the voice of an angel, very gorgeous, and her name is Summer," Harley remarked. "But she's not just any girl. She's amazing. She's even going to our school in the fall."