07 | heaven on ice

SUMMER DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE

SUMMER DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE. What was there to believe? She had just found out that her co-worker, new friend, and neighbor by several houses was actually her childhood friend. It was her Harley. 

That was quite a plot twist in real life. These types of things happened in the movies and television series she watched. This happening in real life was definitely a different turn. It definitely made things slightly awkward for her when she attended work the next day.

Harley just so happened to pick up the exact same shift. Throughout their few hours of work, Summer decided that it would be best to not let him know about her news after work. Mainly because they were too busy serving customers and cleaning up after them afterwards, but once Summer clocked out for the day, she decided that she was going to break the news to him.

Even if it's been a full day since she's found out, she was still in shock. When she announced that she'd be moving away from Haven Hills, she was truly upset at heart that she'd have to leave her friend behind. Being that they were only kids, they didn't have phones, so they couldn't call each other. They didn't even know where each other's houses were at the time, so visiting each other wasn't an option either.

Because of those factors, they lost touch. Eventually, they moved on with their lives with the support of one another. Now that Summer was back in town, she realized that this was her chance to fill in the forgotten gap between them.

But how would she bring it up? She had no clue. Her only choice was the roll with it.

"Harley?" Summer whistled as she threw her tote bag over her shoulder as she patiently waited for her co-worker to grab his belongings.

Looking away from the hook his heavy-duty backpack was hanging from, he tossed it onto his shoulder before mooning his eyes over at the girl out of curiosity. "Yes, Summer?"

Beginning to scroll through her phone, dividing her attention between the boy and the device, she cleared her throat. "Out of curiosity, you went to Mountain Oak Elementary, right?"

"Uh-huh," Harley said as his voice trailed off. "Why?"

"Well," Summer hummed as she began to scroll through her camera roll. "I went there as well. Before I moved away at the end of first grade of course. Lately, I've been looking through old photos and yearbooks and . . . we were in the same class. Ms. Witherspoon's class."

"The tall blonde white lady who was addicted to coffee?" The brunette-haired boy mentioned as his eyes lit up. "Wait . . . you're not saying what I'm thinking about right now, right?"

"That's totally what I'm about to say," the girl winced as she tapped on the old yearbook picture of the now-grown up boy. "We were in the same class, Harley Rhodes. I'm that girl."

"No way," Harley stuttered at a loss of words as he compared the picture to the present-day version of himself. "There's no fucking way. You're that Summer? The one who sat next to me at lunch when everyone else didn't? The one who I'd get in trouble for? The one that made me want to come to school?"