talking and traditions (reworked)

Deku's pov....

Deku's POV...

Opening the door to the other cell, I was met with a scene vastly different from Bakugo's bleak chamber. Sunlight filtered in from a window, and amenities like a TV, a desk, and a cozy double bed filled the space. Uraraka sat on the bed, her red eyes fixed on mine, fresh tears staining her cheeks. A twinge of jealousy hit me; despite the comfort, she was still a captive. And even though I hoped Toxin hadn't physically harmed her, the emotional scars were evident.

Closing the door gently, I approached and sat beside her, searching for the right words. "Uraraka, no harm will come to you here," I began, choosing my words carefully. "You were brought here so I could talk, try to convince you to see things my way. I've given myself a week. If, by the end of it, you still want nothing to do with our cause, you'll be sent home. Unharmed. But here's the catch: while you're here, and if you decide to join us, I can guarantee your safety and that of your family. However, if you leave or oppose the League, you'll be treated no differently than any other hero."

She finally met my gaze, her voice soft and hesitant. "Why me?"

A sigh escaped my lips, the weight of memories pressing down. "Because you were my first real friend. You saw me for who I was, not the shadow of past accusations. I can't lose that connection. I can't stand the thought of you being with a system that could discard you without hesitation, all based on whims and misunderstandings." I paused, the bitter taste of my own experiences fresh on my tongue. "Would you believe my own mother was kept in the dark about my imprisonment until my escape? I thought she'd turned her back on me because of the tales spun by heroes. But no, only our classmates, the involved heroes, and I knew of my plight," my voice broke, a lone tear betraying the anguish I felt.

Each word I uttered was like a knife, cutting through the façade of a world I had once revered. The weight of my experiences bore down on me, my voice a mix of anguish and fury. "Uraraka, I can't bear to see you stand with them. Villains are often called murderers. But if one kills in self-defense against a hero more preoccupied with their own reputation than a life in peril, does that really make them a criminal?"

I could feel the intensity of my emotions, each one swirling and building, pushing me further. "What of those branded as villains simply due to the nature of their quirks? Are they inherently evil? Are quirkless individuals truly devoid of value, deserving of the disdain they receive? Or take the story of a boy, wrongly imprisoned for maintaining a harmless notebook from his childhood. Is he truly a traitor?"

The anger inside me roiled, a tempest threatening to burst forth. "This is what heroes perpetuate. They deride, detain, or even destroy anyone who doesnt fit their stringent mold. If you dare challenge this system, they'll either erase your existence or fabricate tales to vilify you. Do you truly wish to be an accomplice in such a system? If you have any doubts, know that every word I speak can be corroborated."

My strength waned, and I found myself sinking against the wall, eventually resting on the floor. My gaze met Uraraka's, searching for some semblance of understanding. The softness in her eyes was evident as she gently whispered my name, starting to rise.

The silence between us felt palpable, charged with a million unspoken words and emotions. She inched closer, every step careful and deliberate. Kneeling down beside me, Uraraka brushed a stray tear from my face, her fingers cool and gentle.

"I've...I've always known there were flaws in the hero system, Deku," she began, her voice carrying a heaviness I hadn't heard before. "There were moments when I questioned the very ideals we were being taught. But hearing it from you, seeing what you've become and what you've endured... it's terrifying. It's as if everything I believed in is built on quicksand."