why?

(after school)

ben and I walked to the library for yet another tutoring session, and now that we became somewhat friends it just made me feel 10x worse, like now that he knows me he will look down on me for being dumb. "y/n!" I looked up ben looking at me, "huh? what?" I muttered, missing what he had said "you were zoned out I have been calling you for the last 2 minutes" "oh sorry..." we both sat down, in an empty room... "since we both have the same classes it's easy for me to keep up with the work you need done." I nodded as he pulled out textbooks "why are you so quiet all of a sudden?" he looked up at me resting his arms on the table. "I am not," I said defensive which made him even more suspicious " you are though, I've noticed" I rolled my eyes crossing my arms, "stalker much," I said grabbing the book but he held onto the other side, " are we fighting over a book now?" I said trying to pull it away "so you were upset about something" he replied pulling the book towards him " I already said I was fine" "why would we be fighting over a book then?" he questioned tension building between us, both of us not letting go, our eyes looking into each other. "ben let go of the book" "what's wrong?" I glared at him before letting the book go, he jolted back a little looking at the book he held. "you know I was supposed to be at a track meeting right now" he looked at me then checked his computer " it's not on your schedule " "god you really are a stalker, I said, I got kicked off" I landed back into my chair throwing my head back and sighing. "why?" he asked as if he didn't know why "you're smart aren't you? you can put two and two together"

he just nodded not knowing what to say "well report cards come out in a month that's enough time to join again before competition season" I shrugged sitting back up, "I just, i'm not stupid" he looked at me and rose an eyebrow, "you told me that before" I stayed silent so he took it upon himself to continue the conversation, " I never thought you were stupid" "my grades should tell you otherwise" " not really, you just was focusing on track more, I told you that you just need to work on multi tasking" I must sound so pathetic moping about track again" " well... whats today's subject?" I said completely changing the topic. and after an hour it was over, he stood up waiting for me, "hey can I ask you something?" ben said I nodded giving him my attention, " this might actually make you think I'm a stalker but I've known you since middle school" I rose my eyebrow standing up to face him, " god I must seem like an asshole, I never even noticed you," I said covering my face, "no, I was just wondering why you got so... i don't know you just stopped talking" I looked back up at him not knowing what to say "you used to talk too everyone then you just stopped" "oh..." "why'd you join the track team?" "I..." I just stood there staring into his eyes, not knowing what to say, he picked up on it and smiled shaking his head, "i'm sorry that was a stupid question, you joined because you felt like it, right" I didn't say anything "well then, I should get going, see you tomorrow"

I watched as he left the room, leaving me alone... alone. I picked up my bag and walked to my locker taking out a pair of running shorts. I changed in the locker room before walking out to the track, it was silent, the sun blocked by a few clouds, the perfect amount of breeze passing me by, I stared ahead, for some reason the track felt much bigger than before, like it grew 3x bigger, I sat my bag down walking to the middle.

(flashback)

Let's race y/n! ash said running onto the track "this field is way too big! who could run this thing" I said looking around " I can! and I can beat you this time" "you say that every time ash and you know what happens every time? you end up losing! I say smiling at him. "but this time it's true!" "sure" I said sarcastically joining him on the track, he counted to three and we both took off running, he tumbled behind me, he was always just a few inches behind me, but this time, it just felt so different, I slowed down a bit causing him to pass me, his face lighting up a big smile on his face, he passed the finish line and turned to me, " I told you! you lost!" "you cheated I said but he ignored it his eyes lighting up more than they ever had " how does it feel to eat my dust, all that practice finally paid off" I laughed walking up to him and shoving him a little, "come on its getting late" that day he made the track team, and even though this memory is a happy one, it haunts me to this day

(end)

I looked ahead getting into running position, but this time, I couldn't move, I just looked ahead, ahead to nothing, an empty track. "I..." I stood back up out of breath from not even moving "I can't run..." I'm alone, why can't I run? I know it sounds stupid, but it felt like my legs were chained to the ground, I felt my breathing pick up, my mind going blank, "I'm just tired, I just need to go home" I hesitantly walked off the track grabbing my bag off the floor, my coach standing at the gate just looking down at me, I walked past her, I didn't stop even though she called my name, I didn't look up at her, I just walked to my car and left.

I joined because he wasn't able to...

(a/n)

I hope you liked this chapter, building up character is fun, I just hope it didn't seem too boring.

updating at 1 I am sorry for my early sleepers, it's just easier to think at night.

anyways what do you think is up with y/n?